30W USB-C charger vs 18W USB-C charger in "fast charging" times

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Luba, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Luba macrumors 65816

Luba

Anybody have the 30W USB-C charger and the 18W USB-C charger, and have an idea how much faster the 30W is compared to the 18W in fast charging an iPhone Xs?

2. scotsmandc macrumors regular

No difference. I believe the phone is capped at 12w charging so it doesn't matter if you have a higher watt charger.

3. cappo3 macrumors member

That can't be right. If it was true, you'd reach maximum charging rate with a 12W iPad charger. But we know that iPhones can "fast-charge" now.

4. ZStech Suspended

I agree with this post, it can't be truth that there is no difference.

5. cappo3 macrumors member

6. ventmore macrumors 6502a

Yep......looks like it from their results. :)

7. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

The difference between the 12W and the 18W is not really that big. But I am surprised to see that there is no difference above 18W.....

8. Alameda macrumors 6502a

Alameda

The phone will only draw so much current. Applying too much charge current cab overheat the battery and even cause a fire. It also means different charging circuitry to handle the higher current. Assuming that’s mitigated, charging a LiIon battery more slowly will increase its longevity.

9. BugeyeSTI macrumors 68030

BugeyeSTI

That’s one of the reasons I never purchased the 18w charger. 12w iPad charger is plenty fast and it came with my Air2 so why spend the $30 for slightly faster charge times

10. TheIntruder macrumors 6502a

TheIntruder

Macworld's testing also reinforces the notion that a wired 12W adapter is the sweet spot that best balances cost/performance when charging a phone. As well as flexibility, given the ubiquity of USB-A/Lightning cables.

For something like an iPad, whose batteries can be 2-3x the capacity of those in iPhones, the gains will be more than incremental, and justify the additional outlay for a higher-wattage PD setup.

11. MrMister111, Mar 3, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019

MrMister111 macrumors 68030

I bought the 18W as can also use for my iPad pro as does help a lot on charging times for that, and also as it has the folding pins here in UK so makes it a lot more compact than the 12W iPad one as in UK the pins are big, folding makes it much better.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. KOTN91 macrumors regular

I simply cannot fathom why anybody would actually want the type of port to change again, lol.

The future is completely portless and real wireless charging. That’s 5-10 years away though and until then the iPhone should continue to use lightning

13. Aditya rathee macrumors member

Aditya rathee

Can yu tell how much is limit for new ipad air 3
    I mean what is it caped at ??
    Can 30w work for it or 18w will be enough ??

14. MrMister111 macrumors 68030

I believe it is 18W max anyway for new iOS devices. I think it's the actual device that limits the power input, so it will only draw what needs, so you can use the 30W fine.

Just noticed it's actually sold on (UK) Apple store now as well, so presume Apple tested it and happy! States can charge an iPhone 8 and later (ie fast charge compatible) 50% in 30mins.

15. Aditya rathee macrumors member

Aditya rathee

Yeah i agree
    But few mins back i saw a video on youtube in which a person was charging its iphone xs max with 87w usb c charger and it charged full in around 1 hr and 37 mins
    So i guess my ipad can draw more power than an iphone xs max
    Right ?

16. Sparxxx macrumors regular

All Iphones which support fast charge (from Iphone 8 and later) are capped at 18W
    All Ipads who support fast charge (I think it's only the Pro Versions using USB-C) are caped at 29W.
    You can safely use 30W or even 60W... the device will "pull" only what it "needs". This is valid untill 50%, after that the wattage will drop.