31% of iPhone users likley to jump to Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elgrecomac, Aug 14, 2010.

1. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

An interesting article on Fortune mags blog:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2010/08/13/changewave-31-of-iphone-owners-likely-to-switch-to-verizon/

I know this board is FULL of ATT apologists but the facts are the facts: the ATT experience is the weak link in a great device. All I want is decent coverage in major metropolitan areas...in my case, the northern part of the city of San Diego.

Once the v-iphone is out, then the biggest issue with the iphone will be eliminated. US customers will have choices, which is what it is all about, right?

:cool:

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

Funny you mentioned San Diego. I finally switched from Verizon to AT&T because I wanted an i4. Never had a problem with Verizon except for absolutely no signal in my mom's house and my in-laws house. Now, with AT&T, I get the same signal at work and at home and around where I live that I got with Verizon AND the phone works great at my mom's and in-laws. A week in San Diego.... HORRIBLE service. Missed calls, dropped calls, no service. Battery drained fast probably due to constant search for signal.... Yeah, SD sucks for ATT!!!

3. Jordanna macrumors newbie

I'm not surprised. AT&T has horrible service, dropped calls, echoes, and it takes forever to reach customer service. I have Verizon.

4. iPhonedHome macrumors 6502

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I bet that 31% will drop once they find out how much more expensive the Verizon iPhone plan is, especially if they already have adequate at&t coverage.

Those with poor at&t coverage will move regardless.

6. protox macrumors regular

Where in particular in North SD are you talking about? I live in Carlsbad (Aviara area) and I get absolutely great reception.

7. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

Expensive? I'm on the Droid X now and the plan I have is equivalent to my iPhone plan before, no tiered data, and I pay $10 less a month. I'm not going to deny that in some aspects Verizon are expensive though.

8. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68040

Mac'nCheese

I was visiting areas from the airport up north, out of the city...Cardiff by the Sea... was one town...Also, Disney Land sucked for coverage. You'd think they have decent coverage in a place where people are constantly calling family members and asking where they are...maybe even some free wi-fi for those bored on lines...

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I bet they will jack up the plan price specifically for the iPhone.

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

Hmm interesting, I have never once had a problem in San Diego, or Disneyland for that matter.

The only time I've really had a problem is on a drive to Vegas,(from LA). Out in the middle of no where I would lose signal quite often, but once I got to a city I'd be okay.

Other than that I have had 3-4 dropped calls in almost 3 years.

11. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Stupid.

That's like saying the weather is really hot in the united states. I know a lot of people are apologists and say it's cold in America, but let's face it.

Then the guy from Alaska disagrees saying it's not hot and the guy from Arizona says it is hot.

Same with AT&T, it's all situational. There is different coverage in different cities as per neccesary limitations in logistics of spreading a national network of coverage. Verizon has dead spots too. There are certain areas where because of building codes, even certain rich suburban areas, where towers aren't allowed to even be built. There are just so many factors that people who never worked in the cell phone industry don't understand.

Depending on location:

AT&T either has good, spotty, or no coverage.

Verizon either has good, spotty, or no coverage.

Both companies are professional multiple billion dollar industries serving tens of millions of consumers.

Neither is garbage.

This has been said before.

It's only low brow slightly slow simpletons that propagate the myth that at&T sucks when they have no comprehension of the mobile phone industry's inner workings.

Why do people spread ignorance?!

(actually I already know the answer to that)

12. diabolic macrumors 68000

I'd like to see the numbers on how many people already on Verizon would buy an iPhone once they could. Probably more than you'd think.

13. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

The only way I'd even consider switching is if you can use voice/data at the same time.

14. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

I wonder how people from other countries [UK/Canada] put up with these Verizon/AT&T forums

15. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

haha, exactly... I hope 50% leave because the network will be that much better for those of us who stay ;)

16. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I hope enough leave with me so AT&T actually makes improvements to come out as the superior carrier in a few years.

4.0.1 has shown me the truth. No more than 3 bars in Monterey area.

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well that 31% proves nothing unless you compare it to the churn rate of the other companies in the US. If the others are at around 20-25+% then the 31% proves nothing. AT&T has had the lowest churn rate for the past few years which means that you have some pent up people wanting to jump ship.

18. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Facts are facts? Well, the fact is that I get 5mbit download speed where I live through ATT so your survey means nothing to me. I love when people say flat out "AT&T isn't as good" when it's so obviously a case by case basis.

19. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

Reception wasn't too bad at home in San Diego but in LA it's pretty bad. I don't get signal whatsoever in my classes and it's generally an average of 2-3 bars most of the time around campus. Not too happy about it. I do love my iPhone 4 though so I don't really care, I just wish Verizon got the iPhone back in July when my contract ended.

20. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

A lot of the stereotypes people have towards Verizon were probably a lot more true about 5 years ago, but now everything is starting to even out. Verizon was simply first in the race to cover a comprehensive portion of the land map, but now AT&T and T-Mobile have been expanding their networks too every year and the gap is getting smaller and smaller. Heck, even Sprint has better customer service and a more solid operations model. Verizon is getting great phones and everything is all kind of becoming interchangeable.

There will be a significant number of people who will get the iPhone on Verizon who live in an area where Verizon is the only carrier that they have a choice with and had to settle for Verizon's decent offerings. But if they can have the best phone, and have it be on Verizon too, they will switch and then there will be a whole 'nother chunk taken out of the market-share.

21. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    Historically, such surveys have been off by a factor of 2 or 3, simply because people often say what they wish they could do, instead of what they actually end up doing.

Also, the 31% breakdown is 13% Very Likely, 18% Somewhat Likely.

Taking it all into account, we'll probably see more like 10-15% actually jumping ship, and I'd bet many of those are ex-Verizon users who left just to get the iPhone. In any case, it's still millions.

That wouldn't make any sense. More likely, they'd use it as an excuse to start using data tiers like AT&T has already done.

22. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Can't wait for this to happen, as this will mean more bandwidth for the rest of us AT&T customers!

23. Chunkycat macrumors 6502

Good! I hope it's true. AT&T will be better for those who stay. :p

24. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I thought this “forum” was FULL of Verizon apologists? :confused:

Once the v-iphone is out, then we won’t have to see any of these “coming to Verizon” threads and we’ll finally get to see the “iPhone sucks on Verizon” threads.