Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elfy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 26, 2011
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi all.

I am looking at getting a new TV for the living room and was wondering if it would be feasible to use the current one as a monitor for my late 2014 Mac mini? I currently use a 24" monitor which has the same resolution as the TV (1920 x 1080). I guess I just wanted to know if those extra eight inches of screen stretching out the same amount of pixels would make it too difficult to read, especially smaller text and suchlike?

I know, I could just hook it up and see, and I'm sure I will, but since it's a little while away, and it's mounted on the wall downstairs I thought I'd see if anyone else had tried something similar.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I'm sure you could get an image -- but the image you get probably won't be pleasing to look at for any length of time.

For most cases, if you have a computer (you DO -- you have a Mini), you want a COMPUTER DISPLAY to use with it...

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I currently use a 24" monitor which has the same resolution as the TV (1920 x 1080).

Sit closer to your current 24" monitor. That's what a 32" monitor will look like. It will be the same image with bigger pixels. Only you can decide whether that is acceptable.

Moolani

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2012
Sitting closer to your current monitor is a great test as reducing viewing distance is a proxy for increasing screen size. I tried hooking up my mini to a large TV once but could immediately see the gaps between the larger pixels so that was a no go. Text was also harder to read and it just wasn’t as crisp as a computer monitor.

Now, if the primary purpose of the mini is an iTunes server, then that might work.

Reactions: SigEp265
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.