iPad 32/64gb iPad Air or 16gb iPad Air 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ...., Nov 13, 2014.

1. .... macrumors newbie

Hi, never owned an iPad and I'm struggling to choose between a few models. With a movers coupon, I can get the Air 2 for $449 or I can get a 64gb or 32gb Air 1 for $444 and and $404 respectively.

Air 2 has a great processor and more memory but I'm worried that 16gb won't be enough for future apps and releases of iOS. A 32 or 64gb Air 1 lots of workable space and a slightly better battery but less memory.

Any thoughts?

2. Carla748 macrumors member

I'm wondering the same thing. I need the memory for photos- but the price of a refurbished iPad Air is so much cheaper than a iPad Air 2. Is the Air 2 really that much better?

3. gpspad macrumors 6502

i have the same decision to make, the jump from 16gb to 64gb for the middle model makes it tough to go for a 32gb 1st gen ipad air.

4. darabo macrumors member

Best Buy will offer $100 off the iPad Air 2 on Black Friday and Target will offer a $140 gift card as well.

I'd get the iPad Air 2 on Black Friday if possible, that way you can get a 64gb variant and be relatively future proof in the long run.

5. .... thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'm not willing to wait in line and get trampled for a small chance to get one of those in-store deals.

6. Act3 macrumors 65816

Buy one from Bestbuy.com on Thanksgiving day to get the Black Friday deal... I got all of my Black Friday deals last year from Best Buy on Thanksgiving morning at the computer while having my coffee.

Also check best buy on 11/20, they are announcing deals then on the iPad Air 1

7. furbzv1 macrumors 6502a

furbzv1

its all going to depend on how you are planning to use it. If its browsing , playing games and reading/writing a few email then i would go for the air 2. but if storage is important then i would go with the 64gb Air

8. .... thread starter macrumors newbie

Pretty sure that $100 off deal is a doorbuster and won't be on the site.

9. saltd macrumors 6502

saltd

Use your mover's coupon to grab an Air 2 64GB for 545 bucks. That's your best value right there. The best of both worlds, and the future-proof option for not too much more cash.

Concerning future updates, the generation of IPad is more important than storage capacity. Always buy at the beginning end of the generational life cycle of the iPad. Always. If you don't, you'll wish you had almost immediately. Ask me how I know :)

Having said that, don't get the 16GB version of any iPad. I'm Willing to bet that next year's iPad will start with a 32gb version for $499, and resale value for the 16GB Air 2 will be dismal. 16GB is too small.

The 16GB Air 2 shouldn't even exist...

10. iPadDad macrumors 6502

iPadDad

I won't go iPad 16g anything again, trust me, been there got the T- shirt. There is simply not enough space. Don't forget apps are only getting bigger and just look at the size of iOS (you want the complexity of an advanced operating system) so you need the space.

Then there's the question of the Air 1 vs Air 2, of you start off your iPad cycle with an Air 1 it will already be a year old, and when you are investing this much money into a device, you want it to last and get the most out of it.

The Air 2 is a beast!, you simply have to go with the Air 2, 64g!

It's a No brainer, and I have just scratched the tip of the iceberg here!

11. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

64GB Air 1 is better than 32GB. I have 32GB Air 1 and I have 40 apps with only 9GB free space so that is not enough so I might need 64GB instead. :apple:

12. Ann P macrumors 68020

Personal choice. If you're gonna use it for browsing, streaming, etc, go with the Air 2. Otherwise, 64GB or 128GB Air 1 as a powerhouse with movies/shows/music/games loaded on it.

13. jds4300 macrumors member

Whatever you decide, PLEASE DO NOT BUY A 16 GB IPAD. 16 GB should not even be offered by Apple or ANY tablet maker UNLESS a microSD slot is available. With 16GB, you will run out of space in no time, additionally you will have to delete content in order to do software updates.

14. Lukewarmwinner macrumors 6502

All these "don't buy the 16gb, you'll run out of space"-warnings really doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It really depends on what you'll use it for. I've had iPads since the first one, and always got the 16gb version. Yeah, the 64gb isn't that much more, but if you don't need the space, then there's no reason to buy more storage. I stream all my content from my iPad so nothing really is stored local on it - this means I can work with the same documents as on all my other devices and won't have to transfer files individually. I get the point regarding bigger iOS-updates but let's face it - by the time they hit 8gb the 16gb won't exist, and you would buy another by that time anyways. And the thing about the lower resale value of the 16gb; no way; if you take a gander on the iPads with high capacity for sale, none of them are listed significantly higher than the 16gb version, you'll probably get the price difference between the 16gb and 64gb, but you also paid a higher price initially, soooo... - and it's always easy to sell iPads - also the 16gb version.

So basically; see what you'll store local on your iPad and by accordingly. If you stream music, videos and documen - save your money and buy the 16gb Air 2.

15. Rodster macrumors 68040

I doubt that as last year BB had a $100 GC deal for most iPad's during the Holiday's and it applied to their website. Now that tablet sales are in decline and retailers need to keep moving their inventory, I have no doubt we'll continue to see random discount sales on iPad's before and after the new year.

16. poncekim macrumors newbie

I'm pretty sure you are wrong. Last year iPads at every major retailer were available to order online. They are not used as door busters like cheap tvs. iPads are loss leaders to get people in the stores to buy other things. Just make sure you go to deal sites to see when the deals go live.

I also suspect Apple is providing some backdrop marketing support for these promos to push units due to slow iPad sales. There were never these types of sales until a year ago. Now they happen every 2 months. That is why they are not doorbusters. Apple wants to sell as many as possible.

17. .... thread starter macrumors newbie

I decided to buy the 64gb Air 2. With coupon it was $539. First iPad and second tablet device (first being a cheap off brand $100 android tablet) I've owned and omg this thing is amazing. Everything is so sharp and vibrant, it's almost surreal to look at.

With regards to the vibrations, I can definitely notice it on high volume settings but since this is my first iPad, I have no comparison to make.

18. ARH1956 macrumors 6502

Well, yeah. If you'd offered that as an option in the original post everybody would have suggested that as the route to take.

19. .... thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I wasn't planning on spending more than $500 at first.