32 GB or 64?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by webitorgal, Sep 12, 2012.

1. webitorgal macrumors regular

webitorgal

I'm likely going to get a 64 GB phone, but I'm wondering if I really need something that big. Right now, I have about 3 GB of music on my iPad/iPod and about 8GB of video. I'm not sure if I'm going to be moving the video over to the iPhone. I tend to take a lot of photos, especially when I'm eating out (I run a lifestyle blog that reviews restaurants) an will be running additional photo apps such as Instagram and Camera+. I'll also have various social media apps, including third party ones like Echophone. All together, I'm guessing that I'll have about 30-50 apps. Is 32 GB okay or a bit tight?

2. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Sounds like you take 3 times the photos of the average person. If you also take photos in social situations, not just for work/blogging then maybe the 64. Photos and videos take so much space. And everyone is posting a ton of videos now.

3. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

In the demo that showed the Panoroma feature and said the pic was 28 MP. Those pics will fill the iPhone pretty fast. Something to consider.

4. vastoholic macrumors 68000

vastoholic

I'm going with the 32GB and I do video pretty regularly, but it's usually only it short 30 second snippets, sometimes I'll go a few minutes or up to 5 minutes. But I'm always able to come home daily and dump them into Aperture to keep the space free on my phone. 32GB has worked for me so far, but I definitely wouldn't mind the 64GB.

5. osiodmak macrumors newbie

32GB vs 64GB

I have upgraded from previous iPhones (and iPads) over the past few years and I can honestly say that it is worth having the larger storage capacity. Especially if you don't plan to physically sync via USB cable to your Mac/PC frequently which is normally when you would have the option to delete content.

The increasing size of iOS apps as well their data combined with all the content we create/download or store means we all end up requiring more storage space than we originally intended.

Starting off with the 64GB capacity allows you to spend less time cleaning out your device and more time focused on just using it. But there is a price consideration. For me, the $100 additional dollars is with it in the long run … IMHO

6. rrl macrumors 6502

rrl

7. Fudd macrumors member

Go for the largest memory model that you can afford.

8. calvy macrumors 65816

I got a 64GB 4S because I thought "oh man, with 1080p video, I'm going to eat up space". Here we are a year later and I'm using 16GB on my 64GB iPhone. So for iPhone 5, I"m getting a 32GB. I was tempted to get a 16GB and save the 100 bucks, but decided against that.

9. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

My 32 GB iPhone 4 is mostly full all the time, from Music, Apps, Photos, and some Video. And I would believe that running that near capacity slows it down some. I will go 64 just to have ample free room, and probably find myself using over 40-50 GB within 6-12 months. I'm bummed they didn't drop the 16 and have the 32 and 64 at 199/299, but I would rather have the extra space.

10. pHeNom macrumors regular

same here. I had a 32gb iPhone 3GS and almost filled that up, when I got the 4S last year I went in with the same mindset like others about 1080p. Right now I'm using 27GB music/video/apps/photos. I was gonna go for the 32 for the iPhone 5, but after checking my saved memory looks like I gotta go for 64 again. And I swear im going to need it because this is more than likely my last iPhone. :eek:

11. iRobby macrumors 6502a

iRobby

Why is it your last iPhone?

12. pHeNom macrumors regular

good question. I dont know I just want to try something new, if I dont like whats out there in the future I'll go back to iPhones. Also this might sound stupid to other people but now that steve jobs has passed there isnt really any "wow" factor it seems on the new gadgets. I know he was not the only person who put in ideas for the iPhone/ipad/ etc etc. but I think hes the idealist that knows what people might like or will like and hes willing to go with it regardless. sounds weird but thats just how I feel. :eek: