32" Sony XBR 9: No Signal when connected as external monitor.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dreary, Dec 10, 2009.

1. dreary macrumors regular

I have my macbook pro connected t my sony xbr 9 tv, but the tv says there is no signal. however, the macbook pro recognizes the sony tv and it's resolutions. it connected through a mini displayport to hdmi adapter i bought off monoprice, and i don't think it's faulty as i used it in my living room tv thats also a sony. any ideas??

2. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

I have the same exact setup. Did you try switching to the correct HDMI input on the tv?

3. dreary thread starter macrumors regular

yeah, it's in hdmi port 3. ive been trying to get it to work all day. :mad:

4. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

go to your monitor settings and swap the screens and see what that does

5. dreary thread starter macrumors regular

^ what do you mean? change the arrangement? i did that but my mpb screen turns blue and for a few seconds, yet the tv still says no signal.

6. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

Thats the exact same problem I have had except I was using an HDMI switch in conjunction with the adapter from monoprice. When going through the switch, my MBP's screen would go blue for a sec to detect the monitor and come back and I can move the cursor off the screen which means it works, but my external would stay in power saving mode so its not picking up the signal. When connected directly to the monitor, it shows up and works perfectly, so the problem was with the switch also from monoprice. An exchange does not solve the problem so its an incompatiblility issue.

7. dreary thread starter macrumors regular

8. dreary thread starter macrumors regular

9. minik macrumors 65816

I just got a 13" MBP with the Apple mini-DP to DVI adapter and connected to a Sony 40" XBR7 telly port #4 via a XtremeMac DVI-HDMI without any problem.

Did you try any other port on the back of your 32" XBR9? Was the MBP in sleep/standby mode?

10. vaderhater245 macrumors 6502

apple MDP to DVI then Belkin DVI to HDMI. my sony isnt a xbr series but this works for me great!

11. dreary thread starter macrumors regular

ok, i think the problem was the cord. i bought a 6 foot hdmi cable, and it works flawlessly.;)