320GB hard disc is full, but only 112GB of data used

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by cymad, Jun 10, 2012.

1. cymad macrumors newbie

[​IMG]
    As you can see OmniDiskSweeper could only find 112GB of Data. The same goes for the Programme WhatSize.
    I don't know what these 143GB of music should be either. I've got 11GB of music in my iTunes library, and maybe 10GB of video files on my mac. The rest i pictures etc. Wherever I looked online it said that these programmes would tell me where my storage capacity is being eaten, but they all fail to do so. TimeCapsule function is switched off.

Hope someone can help.
    Cheers

2. willfurnell macrumors member

willfurnell

So TimeMachine is definitely not backing up to the same drive as all your stuff is stored on? (The one full up).

3. cymad thread starter macrumors newbie

If I go to System Preferences; time Machine, then it is shown as switched off. Didn't do any further checks. Is there a command with which I can get rid of any time machine backups (if there are any).

4. shelob8888 macrumors member

it's not TimeMachine because in the "about this mac" window, there is a color for backups. and that color isn't present.

the "other" section is just that, files other than audio, movies, photos, apps, and backups. so documents, caches, temp files, etc.

have you tried DaisyDisk? this app is supposed to be great for troubleshooting your exact situation and is actually half off in the app store right now.

----------

i also think it is interesting that you mention music, but the graph shows no audio...

5. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

DaisyDisk is awesome. It would prove useful in this scenario.

6. cymad thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys.
    I've got 143GB free again :)

I'm way to ashamed to tell you what it was....lol
    Fine - My Brother nicked my macbook some time ago to do Video editing on the admin account rather than my account name...Hence why the files never showed up unless I used admin mode. He had 140GB of iMovie Files.

7. cymad thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, Yeah that is wierd. The "Other" is still present though. 2012-06-11 10.46.50 am.png

Is this maybe the reason why my iTunes sometimes takes 900MB of ram when I listen to music? That something is wrong and although their are nearly all MP3 Files, that somehow they aren't properly seen as music by the OS?
    cheers

8. shelob8888 macrumors member

that's a good amount, glad you figured it out!!!

----------

could these music files also be on the admin side? and you still happen to have access to them? that might explain why the graph doesn't show them, but I wouldn't worry about it if your files play fine :)