32gb iphone 6/6+ in March 2015 along the apple watch release?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Appl3FTW, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

There have been rumors that Apple may be looking at releasing an iPhone 6 and 6 plus for March 2015 alongside the apple watch release. I doubt this would happen because I believe the demand is so high, apple is really in no rush to release a new phone and the fall release schedule is doing just fine. However, if they do need to release one to go along the apple watch then releasing a 32gb version would make a refresh without the overhaul of the S series. The S series can still go as planned for fall. what do you guys think? I think it's a good idea.

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Why would they have to release an iPhone to go along with the Apple Watch? Makes no sense.

There will be no iPhone release until.

3. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

Rumors are they need to release an iPhone to reenforce the idea that you need an iPhone to use the watch. That's what the rumors say.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

5. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Where are these rumors? I haven't seen anything credible pointing to an early iPhone update, and I don't see why they would update it then.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

What rumors? How about a link to said rumors.

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

Agree. Some rumors are just absolutely silly. Why would Apple introduce a 32GB iPhone? There isn't even anywhere to fit it into the current pricing scheme and they're making a killing off having such a significant gap between 16GB and 64GB with no signs of iPhone 6/6+ sales slowing anytime soon.

8. azhava macrumors regular

He read it. He wrote it down himself, then he read it. :D

9. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Yeah..no..

10. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Unless it adds new communications support, I've never seen Apple make any kind of midcycle change to the iPhone line.

I only recall two instances where Apple introduced new iPhone variants in NA in the middle of the product cycle -- 1) the CDMA-compatible iPhone 4 when Verizon came on board, and 2) adding new LTE bands to the iPhone 5 when T-Mobile signed on as an officially supported carrier.

In both cases, Apple made the midcycle changes in order to add support for new carriers. And with the CDMA iPhone 4, Apple modified the antenna design which helped with CDMA reception and also addressed the so-called antennagate issue. Note that even with the purported issues with antennagate, Apple never changed the antenna on the GSM iPhone 4.

A new iPhone 6 at the midcycle juncture doesn't make any sense. Part of the reason why Apple eliminated the 32 GB was not only the extra profit from keeping the storage at 16 GB, but also standardizing the flash memory around only three different combinations. This maintains Apple's supply chain leverage with suppliers.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Despite the fact that I already purchased a 64gb plus I would be very happy with a 32gb entry level iPhone. VERY happy.

12. Supermallet macrumors 65816

Supermallet

If they replaced the 16gb with 32gb, everyone who bought a 16gb would be pissed as hell. If they made it $50 more than the 16gb, it wouldn't fit in their traditional pricing scheme of going up $100. On top of that, there's absolutely no need for them to release a new phone to coincide with the watch. They will make it clear that the watch needs the iPhone to fully function.

13. iThingsGurl macrumors 6502a

iThingsGurl

No (credible) Rumors like MacRumors
    (See what I did there? ;))

14. bizack macrumors 6502

It's a terrible idea, for Apple. They're crushing it with their current size/pricing model.
    And if you're in the demographic that plans on buying an Apple Watch, you're probably in the same demographic that buys the 64GB or 128GB iPhone 6/6 Plus.

15. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

16. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

More probable for Apple to release a 4" iPhone 6 model over a 32GB one

17. Shanghaichica macrumors 603

Shanghaichica

I can see them releasing a new 4" model but in the fall when the iPhone 6S and 6S plus is released. At the moment they have no need to bring out a new 4" model when the 5S is out there selling well.

18. eneisch macrumors 6502a

19. iThingsGurl macrumors 6502a

iThingsGurl

Contributor Ewan Spence for the said Forbes article while speculating on the rumours, fails to consider that having an iPhone 6S in the first half of 2015 and an iPhone 7 (new design most likely) in the second half will mean a highly unlikely possibility of 3 new iPhones in the one year span of 09/2014 to 09/2015. Besides, given the base variant Watch is indeed priced at $350, no company - and Apple being the last company which needs to do that - will ever launch an entire new successor to its recently launched product just so that some of its consumers would buy the $650 + $350 combo.

----------

Forbes sourced it from Mail Online, which sourced it from Stabley Times, which again sourced it from a 'source' in the supply chain :)

20. Woochifer macrumors 6502a

Nope. There's Forbes and then there's the Forbes "contributor network." Anything from the latter is typically Macalope fodder.

These rumors about Apple switching their product cycle come up every year, and are almost always wrong. The only time that Apple actually shortened their product cycle was with the iPad 4. Nothing more than bored tech bloggers amusing themselves by making stuff up and then repeating what other bloggers make up.