Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

32gb iPhone or 16gb iPhone w/iTunes Match?

bdavis89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
I was going to get a 32gb iPhone 5 in order to hold all my music (about 17gb), but iTunes match at $50 over the two year contract would obviously be cheaper than $100 more for an extra 16gb in the phone. If I go for the 16gb, the only music will be whatever the Match downloads when I play music, so it would essentially be free for apps, photos, etc.

Has anyone else done this?

Fusion79

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2011
Omaha, NE
I was going to get a 32gb iPhone 5 in order to hold all my music (about 17gb), but iTunes match at $50 over the two year contract would obviously be cheaper than $100 more for an extra 16gb in the phone. If I go for the 16gb, the only music will be whatever the Match downloads when I play music, so it would essentially be free for apps, photos, etc.

Depends on your data plan. If you have capped data I would get as much storage on my phone as I can and keep stuff I listen to or view on the phone and limit my streaming. Even if you have unlimited data I like to keep as much as I can on my phone for times I am in limited coverage areas.

Mliii

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2006
Southern California

No and I wouldn't. For three reasons:
1. You're likely to burn through data a lot faster than you think;
2. You're going to have to rely on having a carrier signal whenever and wherever you listen to music; and
3. You'll be relying on iTunes Match, a service that many have found to be wonky at best.
I'm sure opinions vary on the last point but personally, I think you'd be better served having the on-phone storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.