Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following our feature yesterday sharing photos of a case and 3D-printed physical mockup of the 4.7-inch iPhone 6, designer Martin Hajek is selling his own set of 3D files for a similar model, priced at $25. The files allow anyone interested in trying out how the alleged design feels in the hand to print their own mockup.

hajek_3d_print_iphone_6.jpg
Hajek's $25 package is available through TurboSquid and includes an .STL file for 3D printing as well as .3DS and .OBJ modeling files. For users interested in printing their own physical mockups, quality will obviously depend on the quality of machine used for printing, but the .STL file is compatible with a wide range of machines and services.
The design is based on the leaked concept by MacFan magazine.

Download this file, 3D print it and see what the new iPhone will look like for yourself!
Don't own a 3D printer? Don't worry - a version of the model fit for the Shapeways 3D printing service is included!
Based on our experience with our 3D-printed mockup, we are continuing to refine our own model and may freely release those 3D files in the future.

Availability of iPhone 6 files for 3D printing comes as physical mockups have been appearing in increasing numbers. French site Nowhereelse.fr has been sharing several other photos on Twitter, while regular parts source Sonny Dickson has shared a few of his own images.

While there are a variety of cases and mockups all pointing in the same direction for the design of the iPhone 6, it is important to remember that most of these products are essentially all based on the same sets of leaked design drawings, and they ultimately may or may not prove correct.

Leaked cases and accessory company mockups have generally proven accurate over the years, although they were famously incorrect in 2011 when a tapered design led to numerous cases being produced to fit that design. Ultimately, Apple released the iPhone 4s with essentially the same design as the iPhone 4, and the tapered has not been seen since, although one report indicated that it was in fact a real prototype design that was scrapped by Apple.

Article Link: 3D Print Your Own 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Mockup with These $25 Plans

SoAnyway

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2011
Print my own now for $25 or wait until it's actually released for $0? That's a tough one...... :rolleyes:

frozen220

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2007
Now this is just ridiculous. If you print this out for your own enjoyment, you really do need to make some friends and reevaluate your purpose in life. Before it's too late.

Yr Blues

macrumors 68030
Jan 14, 2008
This is good for people that make custom cases and other add-ons for iPhone.

Everyone else can wait.

AstronomyiPhone

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2013
Maryland
I guess mockups are the new thing.

Please do release yours, though, MR. I'd like to try it out but there's I'm not going to pay $25 for the model...

Rayd5365

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2010
Interesting, not worth spending much money on but interesting.

Anybody have a clue as to how much it would cost to have Shapeways print this?

They will give you a free price quote AFTER you upload your model, so just wondering if anyone's used them to print anything and could give a ballpark.

i.e. $50, $100, $500....

Last edited:

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
These people really don't care in getting in deep water with Apple legal over this, do they!?!?

Last edited:

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Bitch, I can easily do those models on Solid Edge or 3DS Max for free and print them for free in my college. People lucre with everything nowadays.

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
A 3d plan of a phone that doesn't exist and is probably not even accurate.

Some people have more money than sense if they buy this, but good luck to the guy for making some cash off of these people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.