3G 16gb water damage - pics tell the story

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by one1, Nov 7, 2008.

1. one1 macrumors 65816

Damage report.

- To the upper right of the yellow box, transformer shattered.

- To the left of the yellow box, outputs of chip fried.

- Connector and motherboard to connector fried.

- Components to the right of the processor fried.

This 16gb White 3G phone took on less than a tablespoon of salty sea water by the previous owner. On a 2G phone this wouldn't have been much damage at all. The flex cable would have shorted out before it got to the motherboard 8 out of 10 times. If it goes in the headphone jack first, it gets the digitizer first and pops the flex cable from the amp draw second. Aside of the extremely risky task of replacing the flex cable, most 2G phones that take on water damage are an easy fix provided it doesn't get the digitizer.

3G phones however have a solid power supply straight from the battery to the main portion of the phones motherboard and they don't take water nearly as well. The guys that are used to buying the water damaged 2G phones expecting a quick fix are S.O.L. as the 3G phones are a much more sensitive phone to nearly every element in every way. They don't take in air moisture well, they don't take any saturation of liquids well without nearly total devastation, and they are not good with impacts since they have a glass/ferrite component almost dead center in the middle of the Motherboard that usually cracks on impact putting the phone into "needs service" mode.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

3. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Well you know what they say about electronics..... They run on smoke. If you let the smoke out, they don't work any more. ;)

4. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Wow, I would've never expected components to fry like that just from salty water. I guess that shows just how conductive saltwater can be that it would allow so much current to blast through those components. It's certainly beyond the "bag of rice" fix!

Thanks for posting these informative pictures.

5. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

That salt water is mean. It is not only highly conductive it is highly corrosive so it leaves a huge mess of both corrosion, rust, and dried salt.

6. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

Yikes! No wonder water, not fire, is the most destructive force in nature. Add water to modern science and the result is...well...destructive!

7. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

:eek: Where can I buy a 100% waterproof case?

Thanks for the pics.

8. Pikkuroope macrumors member

9. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

Damn. My wife dropped her iPhone 2G into the toilet and it worked fine (even after she disregarded my advise of keeping it powered off for a couple days :rolleyes:)

How'd she drop it into the (clean) toilet? She was keeping it in her back pocket so as to avoid scratching it with her car keys :rolleyes::rolleyes:

10. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

11. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

ONE teaspoon of salt water did all that damage on the inside? Are you sure it wasn't dropped into the ocean for a few minutes?

12. one1 thread starter macrumors 65816

13. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Thanks, that's interesting, but I'm in two minds.

While I'm sure it works, it's not really for everyday use, is it? Not the sort of thing you'd slip out of your pocket in a swanky restaurant :D

That said, it would be great for a day at the beach. But $30 is a wee bit pricey for a super-heavy-duty ziplock bag.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Salt water is very destructive.

15. Eric Isaacson macrumors 6502