3G, 3.0 to 4.1? Best way with 4.26.08

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Alleyoop, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Alleyoop macrumors member

I have been trying for a couple days to figure this out myself, but I think I need to ask some questions to make sure I do this right. I haven't been around in a while here..

I have a 3G on 3.0 with firmware 4.26.08. I am jailbroke and unlocked (redsnow and ultrasnow). I have no official SIM and am using T-Mobile.

I would like to update to at least 3.1.3 because so many apps require it now. Of course, since I will be re-jailbreaking and unlocking, I would prefer an even more current OS if possible.

I see the jailbreak of 4.2 is still in beta. Will I be safe upgrading to 4.1 on the 3G without compromising speed and other things?

If so, is it best to use redsnow in my situation? Should I use the latest version from the DevTeam with the new improved hactivation method mentioned on a thread on this page? I assume I still unlock with ultrasnow?

Thanks in advance!

2. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

On an iPhone 3G, iOS 3.1.3 is STILL faster than 4.1.

iOS 4.1 (and by extension 4.2.1) improved upon the lag monster that was 4.0.x, but reports have stated that 3.1.3 is still less laggy.

There are various apps that require 4.1 nowadays, but you will find that those apps will not run on an iPhone 3G very well even if you did have 4.1...so it's a moot point.

For a maximum lag-free experience, I think 3.1.3 is the way to go. And you won't even need your SHSH blobs to upgrade to 3.1.3.

3. Junkboxy macrumors member

I have a 3G, and from experience I can testify that using Pwnage Tool 4.1....and ultrasn0w.....and SAM.....has left me with a usable iOS 4.1 iPhone. I've read a few comments sayin that 3.X was the fastest, so I go and pickup my phone to test out its snappiness on 4.1; when I tap on the Messages app, the white field opens immediately, but it takes a couple of seconds for the names & messages to populate the white field itself. I think 3.X probably was a little quicker than that. But the delta between 3.13 and 4.1 is minuscule compared to the delta between 4.0 and anything else. Just stay away from 4.0.