3G --> 3GS or just wait...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by js81, Apr 25, 2012.

1. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

OK, so I have the decidedly ancient iPhone 3G. Works great; battery is a bit weak and its definitely S L O W, but it works.

(Long story short; I am on a fam. plan with my parents and married sister that my parents foot the bill for. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth, after all... well, until just recently momma had said "no" to any data plans. My sister begged for an iPhone and got it for her birthday... after which my mother fell in love with it. Since her contract wasn't up until November (her b-day was in March) I let her use my upgrade to get a new one while I agreed to use a hand-me-down 3G from a friend. Now I can't upgrade until November, but if I wait for the next iPhone, I'll probably just pay out the contract...)

Anywho... I've got the 3G now... but its KILLING ME. Should I sell the 3G (about $80-100 on eBay) and get a 3GS ($165-200), then resell the 3GS when the new one comes out? Or should I just tough it out... my wife has a 3GS and its perfectly acceptable. I think I could def. make it to June, but what if the new one isn't until October? Ahhh!!! :eek:

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

If you've managed to live this long with the 3G I'd honestly suggest getting a 4 or 4S and then holding on to THAT for another year.

There's nothing saying you have to get the new phone this fall. If you get a 4S and keep it until Fall of '13 you'll still be more up-to-date than you have been!

3. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

I'm going to guess that the new one probably wont be out till october as a personal hunch.

If i were in your situation i would jump up to a 3GS. It wouldn't restart your contract or anything and since you can't upgrade till November, say the phone does come out in October you have an entire month to think it through and make sure you want to get the next iPhone and not a 4 or 4s. (but if i were you i'd get the new iPhone :p)

4. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

Both you and your sister are married but your parents still pay the phone bill? Are you all in the same house? Move out and pay your own bill.

That being said, after you accomplish the above directives you should just wait for the new iPhone to come out and buy that. 3G to 3GS is no big deal.

5. Sunsean macrumors 6502

Yeah, if you're going to be spending a little extra for an upgraded iphone anyway - I'd suggest an iphone 4. It's almost on par with the 4s in day to day use, and you can probably get a 16gb for less than 300...I myself got a sweet deal on a 32gb iphone 4 off Craigslist for $300, so I'd imagine if you hunt around you can find a 16gb for less than that. The extra $100 or so will be worthwhile for you compared to a 3gs. Also, when you get the new one, you will be able to get more back for the 4 than the 3gs.

6. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

Nothing wrong with that. My fiance and i get married in July and she is going to stay on her parents plan for as long as possible and continue to pay them because we would ultimately be paying more if she went on a plan with me, plus she would have to get rid of her unlimited data plan.

7. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

What ever happened to self-reliance and making your own way in the world? I had no help from anyone and turned out quite well.

8. cynics macrumors G4

Pay for an iPhone and service? Pshhh! That's a requirement for my employer. Lol

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Get off your high horse. When my kid's grown up and I decide I want to pay for her cell phone then I'll pay for her cell phone.

If I don't want to, I won't.

I thought self-reliance meant I could decide how to spend my own money. But no, it apparently means pooleman comes into my house and tells me what to do with it.

10. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

Self-reliance simply means that a person "relies on ones self" to meet their needs. Having free will and freedom means you can decide how to spend your own money, not self-reliance. Get it?

Maybe I am on my high horse, but if my kid thinks a cell phone is worth having she will have to find the means to pay for it. We should provide our children the necessities when they are children, not the luxuries after childhood is over and they have families of their own.

11. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

Self reliance? more like manipulating the system so she can get a cheaper deal.

Maybe re-read my post. She pays her parents every month. If she were to join me she'd have to pay a higher price.

If there was a way you could get a deal on a monthly bill and it just happened to be somehow connected to your parents, you're saying you wouldn't take it?

12. Namjins macrumors member

Move on

Again, none of your business what other people do. You live your life and they'll live theirs. :D

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

He DID say that she would be paying her parents to keep the line. Nothing wrong with paying for a bill in an arrangement that will save money. To me that IS self-reliant.

On the other hand, paying more is silly.

14. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I missed that part where she was paying her parents the money. I stand corrected, to a degree.

----------

I disagree. These people are choosing to share their personal business with the world. Once they place it on these VERY public boards it is no longer personal. All of my personal business I leave off the internet where ANYONE IN THE WORLD can see it, share it, and refer to it forever. It's not personal anymore. IMO.

15. js81 thread starter macrumors 65816

js81

Never once said that. She's a month away from graduating from physical therapy school and I'm a teacher with a Master's degree and 9 years in the field. Who am I to complain if my dear mother wants to do something nice? And yes, 3G -> 3GS IS a big deal (I use both regularly).

I'm sure you've never accepted a gift from your parents, right? Both of us could easily pay for ours - but my parents (who are loving, wonderful Christian people that raised us right) WANT to do this for us. I have never once ASKED them to do it.

TO ALL OTHERS IN THE THREAD: Sorry I even posted that bit of information. Seems to have distracted some forum members...

That being said, another option I hadn't thought of until now would be to pay the contract out (only about $50-60 since it was a dumbphone contract) and get a 4 (or 4S, though I don't really see the big deal there) now.

I'm reminded now why I've came VERY close to forgoing Macrumors' forums altogether of late... every question I post is met by snarky responses, rather than answers!

16. Namjins macrumors member

My Recommendation

My wife has a 3GS and I have a 4. I recommend getting the 4. The 4 comes with the retina display, better camera and a flash. The speed boost alone merits the extra money too.

17. SurferMan macrumors 65816

I would just pony up the little extra cash for a used 4 over the 3GS

18. Soulweaponry macrumors 6502

I gave my mom a line on my account. Apparently she's a horrible person