3G chip from iPad on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by hgrimberg, Apr 23, 2013.

1. hgrimberg macrumors 6502

hgrimberg

Is it possible in the US to get a 3g chip saying i am going to use it in the ipad and then use it in an unlocked iphone? So no phone just data.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

3. hgrimberg thread starter macrumors 6502

hgrimberg

Yes, i mean a data only sim card that you usually get for the ipad but on the iphone. The thing is i am travelling to the US and i bring my iphone but i just want an internet connection for just 3 weeks. I dont need a phone line.

4. hgrimberg thread starter macrumors 6502

hgrimberg

5. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Most US carriers don't offer data only plans for smartphones and using a data-only SIM in a smartphone is likely to violate the carrier's TOS. You'd have to confirm with each carrier unless someone else can speak with first hand experience.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Forum_Rules
    Also, don't overlook prior threads. You're certainly not the first to ask this question:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=dat...s=chrome.0.57.8706j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

6. hgrimberg thread starter macrumors 6502

hgrimberg

But if i go with my ipad, buy a chip and then use it on my iphone, will the carrier know and ban me?

7. hexonxonx macrumors 601

I use an AT&T data only sim card in my 4S most of the time. I originally activated it in a Nexus 7 tablet and because AT&T has horrible speeds at my house, I can't use it there.I just put it in my 4S when I go out and have good speeds when I am not at home. Been doing this for 8 months now.

You do need to set the APN on the phone so that the data will work.

I always have a Nexus 4 with me as my main phone or I can make calls on the 4S with an app like Talkatone.

----------

They won't care.

8. hgrimberg thread starter macrumors 6502

hgrimberg

Thank you and I suppose a prepaid data only chip is much cheaper than a prepaid phone + data chip. Right?

9. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

Depending on where exactly you plan to go, you might as well just hit the next Starbucks, get a Latte and use the WiFi there.

I don't think that a StraightTalk prepaid SIM is that much more expensive than an iPad SIM, and you have the benefit of receiving calls. You just need to find a store that has a Micro/Nano-SIM cutter, Best Buy should be among those places.

10. hexonxonx macrumors 601

That's up to you to decide.

See the screen shots. The first is T-mobiles data passes. The second is AT&Ts.

You can get a $30 PHONE plan on T-Mobile now which includes 100 minutes, unlimited texts and 5GB data. The bad thing is that with anything but the T-Mobile iPhone 5, your data connection will be spotty for now. I'm lucky to get "4G" at my house where I get about 9Mbps now on my 4S. I drive a mile from here and I get edge speeds. Most of my area is edge.

On AT&T using the data sim, I get excellent "4G" speeds 95% of the places I go but have practically no data speed at all when at home.

So, I have a 3GB data sim card through AT&T that I use in my 4S.
    I have a 3.5GB data sim card through T-Mobile that I use in my Nexus 7 tablet.
    I have two T-Mobile $30 100 minute plans, one I use on a 3GS, one I use on my Nexus 4 phone.

Right now, I'm just having some fun even though I don't need that many phone/data plans open. I'm just having fun because I am paying less for all of these then what two iPhone plans cost me on AT&T. I'll likely drop down to the two data sim plans and one of the $30 T-Mobile plans.

I am using the 4S as an iPod Touch with data so I can use iTunes Match while I am out as well as the other phones capabilities including Tapatalk for calls.

Attached Files:

11. ea9 macrumors regular

roammobility can work for you but you'll only have 2G speeds on your iphone.
    It works on TMobiles network.

12. hgrimberg thread starter macrumors 6502

hgrimberg

So Straighttalk prepaid is less expensive than AT&T gophone prepaid?

13. hgrimberg thread starter macrumors 6502

hgrimberg

I went to AT&T and they told me they can only give me phone and text messages but no data because I have an iphone. If it were an android phone it would have been ok.
    It seems there is another carrier called H2O that uses the AT&T network and they can give me data up to 2 GB for $60 and it is 3G. Not sure if it is LTE or 4G...
    Suggestions?

14. hexonxonx macrumors 601

You don't go to AT&T to sign up for a data only plan.

15. hgrimberg thread starter macrumors 6502

hgrimberg

No, I went and asked for the gophone plan, which is prepaid and they said they can only give phone and text but no data on an iphone.
    I need a prepaid service for phone, text and 4G data. Any other service?
    Thank you.

16. hgrimberg thread starter macrumors 6502

hgrimberg

The iphone 5 factory unlock doesnt support the 1700 band from T mobile?

17. hgrimberg thread starter macrumors 6502

hgrimberg

It seems T mobile works on 4G with LTE Enabler from Cydia.