3G extremely fast with 2.0.2 update for me as of now!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 212rikanmofo, Aug 19, 2008.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

Not sure what happened. But I am at work now and I'm in a very strong 3G area. Even with full bars before. My 3G has never been this fast. I just tested it out just now by uploading some pics to my mobileme account and emailing some pics as well. It sent them extremely fast. I then proceed to test browing on safari and I am consistantly getting a very fast browsing experience. It seems even fast than my wifi connection. I know this isn't no placebo effect. I am constantly testing out 3G on my phone at work and home and to me its like night and day difference. I hope whatever AT&T or Apple did will stay and improve even more. This is more like it.

However at home its a different story. I'm out in the suburbs and now after 2.0.2 update I get no service when I switch to 3G, before I would get 1-2 bars. Also When switching back n forth from 3G to EDGE from home. I keep getting no service. This sucks. One thing fixed now another problem arises! I hope they can fix all the problems with the connection issues with 3G + Edge soon.

However I am enjoying my 3G connection at work right now! This is how it should be from the very start.

Another thing I noticed is that Locate me works more reliably now. It seems to locate me quicken than 2.0.1. Still at work it wont give me the PIN but the target instead. I'm not sure why.

Contacts app seems faster, scrolling is fast, I have 140 contacts. SMS keyboard typing is quick. However when in contacts.app and selecting a contact it has a slight lag still. Doesn't happen all the time.

My Backup after upgrading to 2.0.2 still took about 3-4 hours. I have like about 4 pages of apps. Not sure why its taking so long. Must be one of the games that is taking up a lot of space. However I let it finished. So hopefully next time I sync it will be quicker.

But overall it is getting better. Just please keep improving on it! Almost there.

2. olliebraves20 macrumors regular

Yeah it seems that 2.0.2 helps out with quite a bit....I won't be able to test the before and after effect however because I updated last night and they turned 3G on where i live this morning....it's about damn time they got 3G here...I'm excited to get out of work and test it out (I have one bar in work)....

3. Wolf103FM macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

I had about 386kbps on 3G here at work yesterday. Updated last night, and now I'm getting around 1080kbps here

4. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

Its in your head...couldn't be that the network has less traffic on it today or the time of day results in less 3G traffic or anything...:rolleyes:

5. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Last night's 3G speeds:

Before the update: Speeds ranged from ~480 kbps to ~1250 kbps.
    After the update: Speeds ranged from ~480 kbps to ~1250 kbps.

All tests performed while lying on my back on my sofa.

6. gray67 macrumors member

gray67

I"m actually seeing worse performance after the update. In fact, after the update, not only is 3G slower than before, but now my podcasts won't sync completely. I'm going to do a restore tonight and hope that it fixes the problem but I'm rather annoyed that I'm worse off than I was before the frigging update.

7. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I agree. I really doubt this update is making 3G any faster or slower. It's all about the load on the tower your connected to people.

8. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

I think people fail... because information about the update states that they make the "signal" bars more sensitive. i.e. what used to be 2 bars of strength, now will be 4 bars. Basically it fools people into thinking that they actually have a better signal than before.

9. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Where is this stated?

10. appleguy5211 macrumors member

teh suxxors