3G: Indy vs. Denver. I don't think it's the phone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rufhausen, Sep 7, 2008.

1. rufhausen macrumors regular

So I've been bitching about 3G connectivity with my iphone from day 1 and assuming it's a universal issue and not just in Denver.
    Now I'm back in my hometown of Indianapolis this weekend (for the Colts opener) and I just can't believe how good 3G is here compared to Denver. Everywhere I've been consistently has 4 or 5 bars, no dropped calls, fast data access.
    WTF??

Maybe it's not the phone after all. Both Indy and Denver have pretty good 3G saturation according to the AT&T web site. Are there some infrastructure differences between the two cities that could explain this?

Does this mean I'm stuck with crappy 3G access in Denver regardless of any software updates Apple comes out with?

2. ARK macrumors 6502

Living in Indy I have had only one dropped call since I got the iPhone 3G. Before my old Nokia would drop calls all the time. Service has been great here!!! No issues whatsoever for me.

3. Xtgirl macrumors regular

I recently spent vacation in the Outer Banks, NC. I had great reception--full bars practically everywhere in the Nagshead to Corolla area....does it not suck that DC doesn't even come close to this kind of reception and it is a major city.

There are some things that do need to be fixed by software though...the fact that 3G can be full strength, but just sits and spins until you turn airplane mode on and off.

In general, I think we are a little bit screwed with AT+T being a major issue, but there are some things on Apple's end that definitely need to get better too...

4. rufhausen thread starter macrumors regular

I would call AT&T and quiz them about this, but with all the lawsuits flying around now, I don't think they would admit to anything.

5. oneals2focus macrumors regular

oneals2focus

I have lived in Indy my whole life and had a 3G phone for a few years now and had great 3G reception the whole time. My two phones now the AT&T Tilt and iPhone are always at three to five bars and 3G. :)

6. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

Cynicalone

I think it has a lot to do with the number of people on the network where you live. Here in Okie land I have great 3G service, but you don't see a lot of people with iPhone's or Crackberry's. :)

Sometimes it's good to be in a smaller market.

7. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

I live in SoCal, and my 3G service has been wonderful. There are a TON of people with 3G phones here, and still no problems. I have no idea what makes the difference.

AT&T's non-3G service in this area sucks, so maybe it's one or the other? :p

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Probably. Since your phone works well elsewhere it is most likely your locations. Have you checked the coverage map (be sure to select 3G at the bottom)?

http://www.wireless.att.com/coverageviewer/

You need to zoom in at your location. From space the coverage always looks pretty good. :D

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

AT&T has a huge user base in Indianapolis; I think that it's a little more than half. It's been that way for quite a few years (back through cingular), so I'd assume that they get a lot of revenue to invest back into the local market.