3G iPhone for £100?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mmoosa, Jun 2, 2008.

1. mmoosa macrumors 6502

mmoosa

ORIGINAL

The 3G iPhone could arrive in the UK in July, costing as little as £100, according to reports.
    Steve Jobs is expected to unveil the phone at Apple's Worldwide Developers' Conference on 9 June, with The Times reporting a UK release slated for some time in July.

If the report proves accurate, it represents a marked shift in attitude for Apple, which left Britons waiting five months for the original to hit these shores.

As part of a new strategy aimed at boosting sales, various sources are also claiming Apple will allow operators to subsidise the device, which could see the price tumble from the original £269 to just £100.

In other parts of Europe the prices could even fall lower, though this is unlikely in the UK due to Apple's exclusive multi-year contract with O2.

The Cupertino-based company has set itself an ambitious aim of selling 10 million iPhones globally by the end of this year, and any price reduction could be seen as a way of propelling the company towards the goal.

Apple says it is not commenting on the story.

:D:):D:):D:):D:):D:):D:):D:):D:):D:):D:)

2. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Is this report online? If so, could you provide a link?

3. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Nevermind I see it now.

4. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

So I may be able to use my upgrade I have been religiously saving....?

5. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

6. neven macrumors 6502a

It means that the carriers would pay part of the actual iPhone price for you when you signed up for a new plan. This way they'd get more sales and make more on service cost in the long run.

7. mmoosa thread starter macrumors 6502

mmoosa

its the right way forward especially in the uk where we get the phones usually for free when signing up to a new contract, so when people see the £269 price tag to pay upfront to start the contract its a massive shock and they just get the free phones. This is really good news for the iphone in my opinion.

8. Aravintht macrumors 6502a

July... :(

Sold my iphone in the first week of May...been waiting for soooo long!

might go buy one of ebay now to get me through to july...

PS. to all the American, i am will to pay the cost of the iPhone +$200 to get it before it comes to the UK. That means you get a $200 profit minus shipping/packing/customs etc. So easily $100 profit... any takers PM me...

9. g8bo macrumors member

g8bo

yeah, probably for the most expensive contract... but for the mere mortals (much cheaper monthly fees), i think the price will drop minimaly.

10. The Phazer macrumors 68030

Good news indeed if true.

Now, about that subsidy for people who bought the first one...

Phazer

11. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

So not so cool if I plan on unlocking my iPhone! :(