3G iphone with original iphone plan because of NO 3G coverage in my area?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rotarypower101, Jul 15, 2008.

1. rotarypower101 macrumors regular

rotarypower101

Hey guys, wondering if anyone has found reasonable/clever ways to upgrade to the iphone 3G device, but retain the original iphone plan?
    I would like the 3G but because of there lack luster coverage in my area it just isn’t practical or reasonable to pay extra for service I cant use anywhere near me.
    I have EDGE and this is working great for me wherever I cannot get WIFI, I simply don’t want to pay for something I cannot use; which I don’t think is a unreasonable request.
    Any suggestions or advice from those in the same boat as I am?
    Can a person simply make the case that the coverage is simply not applicable to the device in question because the location of its use, and therefore retain the old plan?
    I know there will be those that say “then just keep your old phone” there are many reasons for me to upgrade if possible not the least of which is on board GPS which I cannot even use my BT module like I did on my old phone because of the crippled BT, as well as the inclusion of the flush headphone jack which I loath about my current model.

love the phone, hate the lame restrictions!

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

good luck with that. Remember ATT is subsidizing the phone now.

3. sananda macrumors 68020

your initial premise that the extra cost is for 3G is incorrect; the rates are the same as for any other phone. the previous rates for the original iphone was preferential because it was not subsidised.

you can't have the subsidy and the cheaper rate.