3G Purchase scenario : family plan, single person in line

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gilthalas, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Gilthalas macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    Wanted to see if anyone had further details on my scenario:

- I would like to be at my local Apple store early
    - I plan on signing up for a Family Plan (one for me, one for my wife)
    - My wife will be at home with the kids, so I will be in line solo.
    - A call to said local Apple store claims it will be 1 phone per transaction, even if I'm signing up for a family plan (although I remember reading that family plan purchases at the apple store required 2 iPhone purchases), and he stated (I think) the other person would have to be there. (This is all similar to AT&T's policies)

So my questions are:
    - Could I sign up with a basic plan for just my phone, and then come back (maybe later that day) and convert up to a family plan, and add my wife's phone on? My guess is that would have to take place at an AT&T store?
    - Has anyone else heard feedback concerning the "well, my wife wants one too but is home with the kids" argument?

Any other input?

Thanks,
    Gilthalas

2. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Yes, just get the most basic plan you can, then when your wife is avaliable she can come and purchase another iPhone, and upgrade the account to a family plan.

I don't think that will work, they are using the "1 per person in line" rule quite heavily.

3. HDiphone macrumors newbie

I called my local AT&T store (no Apple store in this state) since I'm in the same boat pretty much except that we're post 5/27 purchasers who want to take advantage of the free trade-up. I was told my wife would have to be there as well and it was strictly 1 per customer.

4. Gilthalas thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the feedback guys.

For the upgrade - I'm assuming it would best to do that at the AT&T store?

5. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Yes

6. Gilthalas thread starter macrumors newbie

7. Gilthalas thread starter macrumors newbie

One more question - does anyone know if the other person required to be there for 2nd phone can be someone like a child? My wife could drop our oldest off to be my other person. Any idea if that would work?

Gilthalas

8. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

That WILL work.

9. rfong06 macrumors member

I'm waiting in line for my iphone and my family members are going to be at home taking care of my younger brothers, because I'm the only one getting an iphone and the rest of my family are getting other phones. I talked to the att representative and he told me to wait in line by myself and called my family to come when I get in front of the line to set up our family plan. Maybe talk to an att representative and see what they say. (Representative gave me his card in case there might be any trouble at the front of the line:))