3g speed on Sprint?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kashyap02004, Sep 20, 2012.

1. kashyap02004 macrumors member

With iphone 5, I am switching to sprint from verizon. (Because it is cheaper). However, in my area, sprint doesn't have 4g lte. So I will only get 3g data speed.

Any one know how much 3g data speed do we get on sprint?

2. BrandonHacks macrumors regular

BrandonHacks

Depends on your area.. Just do a speedtest when you get the phone.

3. dmelgar macrumors 68000

I'm doing the same thing. I didn't think anyone else was trying sprint. In the past I've gotten good speed from Sprint because I'm a half-mile from the tower so I'm hoping for 2mbps. Otherwise, back to verizon :(

4. cliffrouse11bas macrumors regular

Will vary but I got horrible speeds. .1kbs-700kbs. Switches to at&t now get almost 8mbs on HSDPA+

5. gabriel925fm macrumors member

Sprint is HORRIBLE. My 4s was getting like 270kbps all the time. Switch to at&t and my phone was getting over 6500kbps... HUGE difference. Till they get LTE everywhere you should go else where. For $20 more on at&t i get better service. I dont get unlimited data but i always used less than 2gb per month.

6. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

laughable speeds. 300kbps-700 kbps at best. here in austin.

i too tried sprint on the 4s, left within a week.

i thought about getting it this time around because LTE will be available here in austin within 3 months or so, and unlimted lte would be great! but i found someone with unlimited verizon so i just transferred theirs to my name.

7. paulie6978 macrumors 6502a

paulie6978

its been terrible for me

i hate when the little "o" shows up in the corner......:mad:

8. daveolej macrumors member

9. Link00seven macrumors regular

As said, it depends on where you're at, but here in Metro Detroit I was lucky to get between 100kbps-200kbps...

Looking forward to iPhone 5 w/ AT&T. LTE is going to be awesome, and even when I have to roll back to HSPA+ or HSPA, it'll still be way faster than Sprint. I think even EDGE could outdo the speeds I was seeing...seriously.

10. nws0291 macrumors 6502a

It's about dial up speed down here. To the point the sprint users just give up anytime they try to launch their facebook app.

11. BishamonX, Sep 20, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2012

BishamonX macrumors member

Check out your area here. Speed vary by area. If Network Vision has been deployed in your area, you'd be looking at speeds comparable to the average CDMA carrier (Verizon, etc.). GSM carriers have faster 3G speeds (AT&T and T-Mobile).

12. kashyap02004 thread starter macrumors member

What is network Vision?

----------

You got unlimited data for $20 more?

13. jtpindc macrumors newbie

be careful switching to Sprint, I average Only 300kbs on 3G, Horrible! and I live in between Baltimore and DC...I have a 4g capable phone but only get 4g coverage in certain spots in the big cities...so depends on where you use the iphone most

14. tomtom2234 macrumors member

Currenty in New Orleans I get anywhere from .5 to 1.5 mbps depending on where I am. Its not as fast as other carriers but I deal with it because I can't live with a data cap. Maybe if Verizon / ATT would raise the data cap / lower the price to something more reasonable I would consider switching but until then Sprint has my money. Also, New Orleans is supposedly getting LTE sometime in October, so that will be nice.

15. lpmusix macrumors newbie

16. dmelgar macrumors 68000

I live very close to a Sprint & Verizon tower. I was hoping 3G speeds on Sprint would be close to the 2.5Mb I get with Verizon.

Apparently not. The best I've been able to get is a hair over 1.0Mb/sec. I don't think I can justify jumping ship to Sprint from Verizon. Unlimited on Sprint sounds good, but at under 1Mb its pretty hard to use it.

LTE on Verizon its peaking to over 30Mb/sec. 30x faster is pretty significant.

How can Sprint be so slow? I've tried connecting in the middle of the night. It helps but just gets me to the limit. I've close to the tower so reception can't be an issue. Apparently Sprint has a slow backhaul, their network connection to the tower is just slow. That means they're the slowest of the 4 networks. Even T-Mobile is faster.

As much as I wanted to jump ship, can't do it. I may try to get a nano-sim for T-Mobile and see what sorts of speeds I get on their network. The CDMA iPhone 5 works on 1900mhz 3G networks which T-Mobile is repurposing.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nowhere near this speed:D

Attached Files:

18. usmaak macrumors regular

Not sure where you're at. But Sprint is terrible in the Chicago area. I've been with them for more than ten years now, and as soon as my contract runs out at the end of December, I'm leaving for Verizon. The highest that I've ever gotten on their 3G network is 1.2, and that was a long time ago. Now it's usually not more than 500kbps, unless I"m using it in the middle of the night. And even when I do get ok speeds, the lag time for web pages coming up is ridiculous.

Theoretically they're upgrading the Chicago area right now. I have my doubts that it will make much of a difference. They are just so overloaded now. I'm always surprised that Sprint is a viable phone company.

19. kashyap02004 thread starter macrumors member

I am in Santa Clara, California (5 miles from apple headquarter) area. This is what i got. I am thinking about returning this. Anybody know what is the return policy on sprint?

[​IMG]

20. usmaak macrumors regular

You get 14 days to return it, if you're not happy. Those are around the average speeds that I get on Sprint. Worthless. If you have no promise of 4G LTE coming your way soon, I'd return it. Then again, even if they've promised it, Sprint's promises aren't worth much.

This is from their page. It's not the greatest return policy, but if you just bought the iPhone 5, you're well within the return timeframe.

Return it for a refund

We love our products and services, and we think you will too. With the Sprint Satisfaction Guarantee, you can try your new product for 14 days. If you aren't 100% satisfied with your product, return your device to your original place of purchase and contact us to deactivate service within 14 days of activation (day 1 of the 14 days starts when the phone is activated) or 14 days of purchase for accessories and devices purchased with no service plan (such as a wifi only tablet or notebook) and Sprint will:

Refund the device purchase price (as long as device is complete and undamaged)
    Waive the Early Termination Fee (ETF) (as long as the device is returned)
    You may have to return any handsets and accessories purchased with the service before your account will be cancelled. Customers are responsible for all their usage charges (included but not limited to Monthly Rate Charges, add-ons, casual or out-of-plan usage and related taxes and Sprint surcharges). However, if service is cancelled within 3 days of activation the activation/upgrade fee will be refunded. The 14-day return period starts the day the phone is activated in our stores, online or by one of our channels.

Gift cards and iTunes cards are not redeemable for cash and cannot be returned or exchanged (except as required by law).

21. TableSyrup macrumors 6502

Sprint's Network Vision should be rolled out everywhere by end of year or early spring.

They are changing over from the current 1900MHz to 800MHz, which will help quality, reception, and speed. 800 will do a much better job of penetrating structures / etc

22. dw3bb10 macrumors 6502

Wrong. They are currently deploying LTE on the 1900mhz Spectrum. Which isnt bad, essentially, anywhere you get 3G, you will get LTE. They will deploy LTE on the 800mhz band once they shut down iDEN. Doesnt matter anyway, since the iPhone doesnt support the 800mhz band for Sprint.