3G Speeds on O2 UK

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Adam-Jobs, Sep 26, 2012.

1. Adam-Jobs macrumors regular

Right! I've never bothered to test my 3G speeds since getting my iPhone 3G. 4years ago... Doing a test right now I'm getting 1mbps download 0.2 upload. I'm in the midlands (Northampton) and was wondering what speeds you guys got? Especially if you're around my area. Another question, could it be my iPhone itself limiting the speeds I'm getting as its old?

If these are the normal speeds. I may need to switch network!

2. jakeruston macrumors regular

From Norwich I get 3.5mbps download and 1mbps upload. Not too bad, but it'll be better when they roll out their faster networks.

3. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

I've just got a iPhone 5 with 02. It loads faster on 3g (so far, so touch wood) then what my iPhone 4 did on Wifi.

I'm in the Newcastle area though so you can't really compare it, 02's signal maybe better up here than where you are or it maybe even better where you are to where I am.

Some of those speed increases is down to the iPhone 5 being faster, so yes it could be your phone holding you back.

4. Adam-Jobs thread starter macrumors regular

Cheers guys. I'm going to trial three next week see what speeds I can get. I'm not sure if I'm going to stay with O2 as reading about a few people are saying the new iPhone won't work once they have their LTE in order...

5. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

I'm with 02 and even though they are on 3g only the iPhone 5 is very fast on it and more people are moving from 02 to go to 3 and EE.

3 will only have LTE in certain areas and outside of built up areas you often get no signal with 3.

EE's LTE will only be widespread in a couple of years time, when it comes out it will again be limited to built up areas and will be clogged up by all those people moving to them from the likes of 02 in order to get LTE. Also their LTE network is replacing their 2g network which is very problematic, a common problem with them is people not being able to get signal in their own homes, and offices because of thick or multiple walls.

6. Adam-Jobs thread starter macrumors regular

What would you recommend in my case? I'm not expecting stupidly high speeds but above 2mbps would be nice. But I'm not getting that on my iPhone. I'll have to try use someone else's phone and see what they can get.

7. bigchrisfgb macrumors 65816

Theirs no reason to follow the heard to EE and 3's networks which will end up being clogged up when 02's speeds are pretty fast and as more people leave it will become faster.

Lets not forget that both EE and 3 haven't released any plans yet, also EE have said they would make it easy for people joining Orange and T-Mobile to switch, however this expected to be something along the lines of agreeing to an upgraded plan and having to pay another set up fee and rumoured to be unto £10 per month for the LTE plans.

If you can see someone's speed on an iPhone 5 or newer phone then yours (with 02), see if it gets what you find acceptable and if it does then just stick with 02. Don't go by the 02 speeds in 02 shops as they have a 3g booster in the back, I don't think Apple stores do so testing one on their network in an Apple store could be a good idea if you don't know anyone with a faster phone on 02.

8. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

2.4mbps down, 1.2mbps up. Sunderland.

Piss poor speeds tbh. My mate on 3 gets around 11mbps.

9. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

Just going through Wembley on the Met Line.
    4 bars of 3G throughout the test and I got 0.2Mbps Download, 0.0Mbps Upload

Nice :(

Stationary at Harrow-on-the-Hil
    3.6 down, 1.6 up

10. Adam-Jobs thread starter macrumors regular

Wow that is awful! You'd think in London they'd have some of the best speeds about!

11. MrGimper macrumors 601

MrGimper

Just tested at my house in Basingstoke.

I get 4 bars 3G on the 5, and I was lucky to get 1 on my 4s.

I get 5.5 meg down, 1.5 up.

Result

12. kirky29 macrumors 65816

kirky29

When I was with O2, in Skegness, Lincolnshire I got just over 3 and over 2 up.

But, I've moved to T-Mobile cause I got sick and tired of O2 not upgrading their network in my area. Hasn't changed one bit since I got the 3G.

T-Mobile on the other hand gives good 3G indoors and great outdoors here. And it seems to be getting better in places.
    Best decision I made was to finally leave O2 last week.

13. sam67uk macrumors member

In Newtownards, N.Ireland :

3.04 up
    1.27 down