3G vs. 4G...does anyone see a difference

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 262Runnr, Jul 31, 2012.

1. 262Runnr macrumors regular

262Runnr

I've been with AT&T for the past 4 years and recently noticed a 4G icon replacing the 3G but don't see any difference in download speed...what's with all the hype about 4G? ...just not seeing it

2. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

It's not really 4G. AT&T says it is and apple changed the indicator.

3. sbddude macrumors 6502a

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Pseudo "4g" & not LTE; it's no wonder you don't notice much of a change. AT&T is so awesome. :cool:

5. profets macrumors 68040

I get pretty good 3G/hspa speeds on my iPhone at home (usually 8 to 10 Mbps down and 3-4 Mbps up). Travelled in the US recently and used AT&T, couldn't believe it showed 4G for the indicator and speeds less than half of what I'm used to.

I feel for you guys who have to deal with AT&T.

6. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

That'll be solved with iPhone LTE in a few weeks. Verizon, here I come. :D

7. OceanView macrumors 65816

The only way you're gonna see a real difference is when you get a Phone with 4G/LTE.
    I bought a Samsung Note a few weeks ago and I am seeing 10-15MB/s +
    I've never seen that kind of speed on my iPhone 4S ever.

8. profets macrumors 68040

That's an interesting thought - will a lot of AT&T who stuck around because of hspa jump to Verizon when an LTE iPhone is released?

9. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I can't speak from an AT&T perspective, but to answer the question in general I can answer from the perspective of a T-Mobile customer. First, to clarify, no network has real 4G. That's just a marketing name. In the case of T-Mobile, what they call 4G is actually their HSPA+ network (4G sounds much nicer). Personally I noticed a difference going from a T-Mobile 3G phone to a 4G phone. The speeds are much better. I would assume AT&T is supposed to be doing the same pattern with their network in terms of 3G/4G (if we ignore LTE for the moment), however anecdotally I've heard from AT&T customers that it isn't actually any faster in terms of speed.

LTE on the other hand is actually faster, and I look forward to seeing it become the new standard.

10. infinity12402 macrumors member

i have a verizon 4g phone, its def way faster than 3g. but, like others have said, the current iphones dont actually have 4g capability, so its only slightly faster than 3g.

11. nyc999 macrumors regular

i have a Verizon 4g lte droid. it is suuuuper fast. routinely hit 20+mbps download.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The only thing that changed was the indicator on the top left.
    You're still getting the same speed as before.
    Its a nonsense marketing trick.

And you never will.
    The 4S HSPA+ GSM modem can reach max speeds of 14.4mbps. The CDMA modem forget it.
    But at some places you can get 7-8mbps down with a 4S on AT&T.

13. cmckenica macrumors newbie

Well, AT&T's HSPA+ network does have its advantages in certain areas. This was my fastest speed I have ever gotten on my iPhone:
    [​IMG]

14. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

Verizon uses 4G LTE Advanced which is true 4G though, isn't it?

15. JerseyDoug macrumors regular

I was not aware that LTE Advanced was available. Just LTE, which is not true 4G, from what little I have read.

16. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

From what I've seen, I think LTE advanced is set to debut later this year and is not currently available.

17. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Just AT&T changing it to advertise a better network which really isn't different from before.

Before 3G stood for HSPA or HSPA+. Now "4G" logo stands for HSPA or HSPA+.

They should've kept it
    4G = HSPA+
    3G = HSPA
    2G = EDGE
    ?? = GSM

18. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

My SGS III is much faster than my iPhone 4S both on AT&T.

That's to be expected since I'm in a very strong HSPA+ area & the Galaxy is setup for it. Once the iPhone is then it will run at similar speeds.

My wife's going to switch from Verizon to AT&T since it's so much faster in our area.

19. Captfatface macrumors newbie

That's what I plan to do.

20. dw3bb10 macrumors 6502

Its insane how MISINFORMED people are.

In regards to At&T, the iPhone 4 uses HSPA. The iPhone 4s uses HSPA/HSPA+. If you're in an area with HSPA+ coverage, you will see significant data speeds compared to their traditional 3G service. THAT is why some people may see a "4G" icon on their 4s, because they're in an HSPA+ area. Keep in mind, data speeds are all relative to location, coverage, traffic, etc.

Verizon currently uses LTE for 4G. AT&T operates a LTE network as well, and totes their HSPA+ network as "4G" in addition to that (Its all marketing). TECHNICALLY, the current LTE networks arent "true" 4G, due in part because data speeds are supposed to be in the 100+ mbps range, among other things. Thats not needed for phones any how. NO carrier operates an LTE Advanced network. I imagine Verizon or Sprint to be first with that. But probably Verizon, since their LTE roadmap is so far along. Sprint's Network Vision towers that they're building are LTE Advanced "Ready".

LTE is amazing. And in most cases, its MUCH faster than MOST people's home internet connections. Im talking about pulling 30-40mbps with a Galaxy Nexus on Verizon, its crazy. Just sucks that the carriers tier data. But hey, part of the blame for that is people who root/jailbreak their phones and tether!

21. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

I see

22. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I really doubt that's the real reason for tiered data. They may say that, but it's all about the bottom line and profits.

23. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Yea I think Apple is using this as a model for what the symbols mean.

LTE = LTE
    4G = HSPA+
    3G = HSPA
    2G = E
    GPRS/1X = (the little circle)

24. BiggAW macrumors 68020

No. EDGE shows up at E, and GPRS shows up as G, on the off occasion that you see it (malfunctioning network or roaming).

25. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Exactly what I plan to do too. I'm lucky if I get any data throughput here in DC on my "faux"-G

----------

GPRS definitely shows up as a little circle