3g + wifi = better/worse for battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by imHappy, Mar 24, 2012.

1. imHappy macrumors regular

Guys if i get a wifi conection but leaving 3g on aswell, does it increases the battery usage or actually decreases since wifi uses less battery than 3g?

In other words, when wifi is on, does it "turns off" 3g? or have it running sort off in the background?

Therefore is it advisible to actully leave wifi on in settings to conserve more battery?

2. GubbyMan macrumors 6502

GubbyMan

I'm not sure about this but I think that 3G usually consumes more battery while in use but less battery while not in use. This should depend on how good the 3G signal is at your home. Low signal means that the phone is going to search for the 3G network. You should try turning 3G off if you have 2 or less bars showing. The battery drain isn't that noticable otherwise.

3. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

I turn off wifi when away from home because I will occasionally connect to a wifi network with a crappy signal. How this affected battery life I have no idea, but I would guess the constant search for wifi and then connecting with a weak wifi signal would run the battery down faster.

4. Zxxv Suspended

Wirelessly posted

you dont have to connect to unknown wifi networks

settings - wifi - ask to join networks off

5. JForestZ34 macrumors 6502a

That asks to join networks is only for KNOWN networks. If you haven't joined a network before it doesn't just connect you automatically. THat is for known wi-fi location only.

JAmes