Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joeljames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
I am trying to get video recorded from my cell phone (motoroala Hint) imported into imovie so I can edit the video and merge clips.

The file extension of the video file is .3g2 . Quicktime will play this video, but imovie apparently does not support it. :(

I have found a number of different video apps by searching forums (iskysoft imedia converter, handbreak, mpeg streamclip, applemacsoft video converter) of which only iskysoft imedia converter does what I want to do. The only problem is the trial version does not convert audio and has "evaluation copy" imprinted into the video. The full version costs $50 :(.

If I am going to purchase something I would rather purchase quicktime pro. :apple: Will Quicktime Pro convert .3g2 files to a format that imovie supports ? I have tried to contact Apple about this, but no one can seem to give me a straight answer (some have no idea what I am talking about:confused:).

I read in a forum that if quicktime can play it, quicktime pro can convert it. Is this true? If so can it convert it to a format that imovie supports?

Does anyone have experience with either of these two programs, and what would you recommend?

bobriot

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2007
Yes quicktime Pro will export to a format that iMovie can read, you can use mov or mp4

joeljames

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 23, 2008
I assume quicktime can export to .mov, but can it specifically export to .mov from .3g2 ? One of the guys at apple told me specifically that it could not, but I am not sure that he knows what he is talking about because he told me to use the mpeg streamclip, which doesn't support .3g2 at all. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.