.3g2 (3gpp2) file converter to import video from cell phone to imovie.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by joeljames, Apr 16, 2009.

1. joeljames macrumors newbie

I am trying to get video recorded from my cell phone (motoroala Hint) imported into imovie so I can edit the video and merge clips.

The file extension of the video file is .3g2 . Quicktime will play this video, but imovie apparently does not support it. :(

I have found a number of different video apps by searching forums (iskysoft imedia converter, handbreak, mpeg streamclip, applemacsoft video converter) of which only iskysoft imedia converter does what I want to do. The only problem is the trial version does not convert audio and has "evaluation copy" imprinted into the video. The full version costs $50 :(.

If I am going to purchase something I would rather purchase quicktime pro. :apple: Will Quicktime Pro convert .3g2 files to a format that imovie supports ? I have tried to contact Apple about this, but no one can seem to give me a straight answer (some have no idea what I am talking about:confused:).

I read in a forum that if quicktime can play it, quicktime pro can convert it. Is this true? If so can it convert it to a format that imovie supports?

Does anyone have experience with either of these two programs, and what would you recommend?

2. bobriot macrumors member

Yes quicktime Pro will export to a format that iMovie can read, you can use mov or mp4

3. joeljames thread starter macrumors newbie

I assume quicktime can export to .mov, but can it specifically export to .mov from .3g2 ? One of the guys at apple told me specifically that it could not, but I am not sure that he knows what he is talking about because he told me to use the mpeg streamclip, which doesn't support .3g2 at all. :rolleyes:

4. jackerin macrumors 6502a

AFAIK, Quicktime can export any file it can play (apart from losing audio on MPEG-1/2).