Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
One of the most interesting comments from Steve Jobs' Paris Keynote is the promise that PowerMac G5s will reach 3GHz "before the end of next summer".

Jobs first claimed that PowerMacs would hit 3GHz "in 12 months" during his WWDC Keynote on June 23, 2003.

The end of summer timeline brings us to August 2004 -- 11 months away. With an average product-life of 6 months between PowerMac releases (historically), users can expect another PowerMac revision in the first half of 2004.

Our Buyer's Guide tracks the releases of Apple's products... but readers should be aware that the most recent graph for PowerMac G5 releases is skewed due to the longer than usual lead time on G5 shipments. In fact, several readers are now reporting that non-educational PowerMac G5 2.0GHz machines are just shipping this week.

trog

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2003
education means squat

I have heard that many people are starting to receive dual G5s, but they are all standard configurations. Even if you ordered on 6/23, if it was CTO then others who ordered standard several days later appear to be getting theirs first. Education ordering doesn't seem to have anything to do with it.

mac15

macrumors 68040
Dec 29, 2001
So with this projection, we could expect up to 2.4-2.5GHz in the next revision around the real time of WWDC? give or take

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Originally posted by hobbes3113
Hopefully IBM will be able to back Steve up on this. Any reason to think otherwise?

It's entirely in IBM's hands... they design the chips, not Apple. If Steve said it, that means it is information that came from IBM

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
It sounds about right with the timeline. As far as when the orders will be received, it is probably the same with the PowerBooks. Get it with an extra gig of RAM and instantly you go from a 3-5 day wait to a 4-6 *week* wait. I'm sure those who got a 500 gig HD option and 8 gigs of RAM will be in for one hell of a wait. I feel sorry for them, but I also know when they do get them, I will be one jealous dude as they feel sorry for the rest of us. :)

VicMacs

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
Dominican Republic
thats not worth the wait

i mean, buy a powerbook now, use it, keep it clean and take good care of it, then when next summer comes, put it on ebay and get 1300+ for a 12 inch, 1500+for a 15 inch and 2000 for a 17 inch, and then get your powebook g5... oh and remember to save during the course of this year... lots... i dont think theyll release a low end model right away... im figuring get a high end model out first, very costly, 3500 or so, then in january get some out for the rest of us... but heck i dont care, i'll wait till theyre really cheap ... my 867DP will have to do till then.. 12 incher on the way!

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
Dual G5s better than faster single G5

While it is good to hear that faster G5 processors will be ready by the end of next summer I would rather see dual configurations for all three PowerMac models. Us PowerMac users have become spoiled with dual processors and OS X works so much better between two.

tizza

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
well that would be cool - I mean the Intel chips aren't going to be getting any slower are they, so one one hope there's heaps of room for expansion with the G5.

fpnc

macrumors 68000
Oct 30, 2002
San Diego, CA
Technically, the end of summer is on or near to Sept. 22. So, the 3.0GHz mark could be 12 months away.

The 3GHz G5 is still a long ways off and schedules will change, but we seem to have a 3-month slip from the statements made in June at WWDC. However, even then I made the observation that Steve could have meant 12 months from the time that the first G5s actually shipped, not 12 months from WWDC. Under that definition end of August 2004 would be about right. In any case, most will probably take this to suggest a potential delay in the 3GHz introduction. I agree, however, that a speed bump in the G5 seems likely at about Feb./Mar. of next year.

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
I find it ridiculous that no CTO orders have shipped, for education or otherwise. and i'm sorry, but edu. inst. customers did not get any special treatment - all the orders for G5s I put it on keynote day as early as possible were still bumped back like everyone elses (OOB 9/23). in fact, out of all the K-12s i talk to that ordered them on keynote day, the only one to arrive was a standard 1.6. (yes, all others ordered were duals). so the statements that the Duals would ship by end of august, then the statement that they'd ship to eu. inst. customers in time for school, was a load of BS.

Erf. heck, maybe i'll just cancel my orders and wait for the rev. b models. =)

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
I'd say it's pretty obvious that we're way off schedule. 11 months I can see, but the next machine upgrade seems a lot farther off, to me.

Dan

mvc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2003
Outer-Roa
Speed bumps sooner

I would expect to see speed bumps by January, or even later this year. The big issue has been getting the machines out the door, putting out speed bumped versions will probably happen as fast as IBM can make them, and I'm sure Apple will want to stay "on top" in the speed game now that they have caught up as it were with the G5.

I would expect early revisions, but I think there will be no official word at this stage precisely to prevent disgruntled purchasers from cancelling these initial delayed orders and waiting for the next speed bump.

If Steve had said 3GHz by June, then everyone would divide the months from the initial release till then by two and wait around for the 6 monthly rev. So instead, its now suddenly the end of summer.

And yes, I am being optimistic. ;)

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
I'm not to sure the that the 3 GHz unit is that far off. I get the impression that the current maxing out at 2GHz is more of a marketing decision more than anything else. It is pretty obvious that the G5 was designed to handle much faster 970's, I ould not be usrprised if faster chips are not already feasable.

My suspicion is that the 3GHz units arrival will be driven more buy what is happening in the PC world than any precieved schedule that may be hanging in the halls at Apple. Lets face it if Apple starts to get mud kicked in its face over the fastest PC in the world remark, they may find faster 970's than the supposed schedule dictates.

What i really see as nice here is that we should see a very nice end of the year update.

Dave

Originally posted by fpnc
Technically, the end of summer is on or near to Sept. 22. So, the 3.0GHz mark could be 12 months away.

The 3GHz G5 is still a long ways off and schedules will change, but we seem to have a 3-month slip from the statements made in June at WWDC. However, even then I made the observation that Steve could have meant 12 months from the time that the first G5s actually shipped, not 12 months from WWDC. Under that definition end of August 2004 would be about right. In any case, most will probably take this to suggest a potential delay in the 3GHz introduction. I agree, however, that a speed bump in the G5 seems likely at about Feb./Mar. of next year.

ginoledesma

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2002
Philippines
:lol: I guess what with the draught Apple experienced with Motorola in G4 delays, Apple is now "making up for it" with IBM. :lol:

It would be nice to have dual across the line, and have the single 1.6/1.8 be the "entry level" that replaces iMacs/eMacs. Dual 3GHz by next year sounds promising, but I'm still skeptical about Jobs's claims -- who's to say (God forbid) that something unexpected wouldn't come up?

In any case, I always wait for a Rev B. :D

esheep2001

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
G5? Shipping? ROFL!

Yeah, there's a trickle from the sounds of it and they're all stock config.

Apple out and out lied that edu customers would get prefferential treatment. Maybe a few institutions, but all in all I have been VERY dissapointed with the way that the G5 launch has been handled considering this is their premium product.

As for 3GHz by next Aug. Yes I can believe that. All the kinks will be out of the production line by then so bringing new models out will be much faster. I dare say IBM can be believed to deliver too, more so than some other companies.

e.

prewwii

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2001
Gulf area Alabama
Apple year or Jobs year....

When Jobs says something... does he mean it? Can we count on what he says?

It appears that Jobs runs off at the mouth and feels no need to be accountable. A year is a year. The news is full of CEO's who have liberal interpretations of reality.

I don't think the public needs to give Jobs a free pass for shooting his mouth off and then not being able to live up to it. Jobs needs to say what he means, mean what he says. Changing his word without an explaination is not living to a high standard. Maybe it's a small thing. Living to a high standard means putting value on the small things.

That's my opinion....

freddiecable

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2003
Sweden
don't wait!

When SJ says 3 Ghz by the end of next summer it's the same as it will arrive winter 2004! I would not wait ordering my box until then! I need it now...

I ordered the dual 2 Ghz just because of it's giant leap forward compared to the MDDs on every level - interior and exterior design, technical enhancements like faster FSB, memory, HD, processors etc. Even if i wait a whole year or more - the relative bang for buck is not worth it since I need it now...

I've told myself to stay put with my new, when it comes, dual G5 2 ghz at least for 2 years...I had my Dual 533 for about two years and it worked great - and now I really can feel the difference...hopefully ;)

I ordered with Radeon 9800 Pro - hopefully that will not delay my order :)

macounaima

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2003
"I think" - SJ 9/16/03

I was at the keynote yesterday. As you will see when they'll post the webcast, after finishing his bit on the next generation of G5 where he said it would reach 3 mghz by the end of next summer, but he added, in a breath almost to himself, "I think".

eric67

macrumors 6502
Oct 17, 2002
France, Europe
goo point

Originally posted by ginoledesma
:lol: I guess what with the draught Apple experienced with Motorola in G4 delays, Apple is now "making up for it" with IBM. :lol:

It would be nice to have dual across the line, and have the single 1.6/1.8 be the "entry level" that replaces iMacs/eMacs. Dual 3GHz by next year sounds promising, but I'm still skeptical about Jobs's claims -- who's to say (God forbid) that something unexpected wouldn't come up?

In any case, I always wait for a Rev B. :D

I agree with you and a previous post, I think it will make sens with OSX and release of Panther to move the PM G5 entirely to dual models, 1.6, 1.8 and 2.0 GHz for January 2004, in addition we can expect at that time a faster processor with a revision (let see 2.2 or 2.4 GHz, this is probably the max that it can reach with the current engraving process, when it will move to 90nm process, then maybe the low-end model will be >2GHz... by June/July 2004)

And I think it is always good to wait for RevB for a new product.

macphoria

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2002
When 3GHz G5 Power Mac comes out, I guess that's when G5 PowerBook will debut? How does 2GHz G5 PowerBook sound?

MacsRgr8

macrumors 604
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I was there in Paris, hearing (and seeing) Steve say these words, but he follwed the promise with "we think"

:rolleyes:

BTW, it doesn't matter how often you see this guy, Steve NEVER gets boring to watch.

:)

iwantanewmac

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2001
Originally posted by Powerbook G5
It sounds about right with the timeline. As far as when the orders will be received, it is probably the same with the PowerBooks. Get it with an extra gig of RAM and instantly you go from a 3-5 day wait to a 4-6 *week* wait. I'm sure those who got a 500 gig HD option and 8 gigs of RAM will be in for one hell of a wait. I feel sorry for them, but I also know when they do get them, I will be one jealous dude as they feel sorry for the rest of us. :)

But when they get them there will be an update around the corner.
I know I know. There is always an update around the corner, but this 1 will come pretty quickly for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.