3GS 3.1.3 w/5.12.01 unlocked to 4.?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jlp16au, Jan 19, 2011.

1. jlp16au macrumors newbie

I have a 3gs that is jailbroken and unlocked. It is running version 3.1.3 and firmware 5.12.01.

Which version of iOS4 should I be able to upgrade to and still keep my jailbreak and unlock?

Also what is the best way to accomplish this?

2. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Upgrade using a custom firmware file (one that keeps your current baseband = possible unlock). Depending on what old SHSH files saved you have saved, if any, you can upgrade to that firmware. If you have no SHSH files saved, you can only upgrade to 4.2.1 custom firmware.

3. jlp16au thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have any SHSH files saved. Can I create a custom FW that will keep my old baseband and upgrade to 4.2.1?

If so, is there a way to do this using windows?

4. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Pwnagetool is what you use to create custom firmware files, but that only runs on a Mac. Instead, you will have to find (google) for one (keeps your current baseband). Make sure, it's from a trusted site. After you get one, you must use Redsnow to put the phone into a special DFU mode, and then, restore through itunes with the custom firmware file.

Please note: If you have old bootrom, it will be a untethered JB. New bootrom would be a tethered JB.

5. jlp16au thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a mac also, it is just not with me right now. How do you determine what baseband you have?

6. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

On the iPhone, settings > general > about. Look at modern firmware (baseband).