3GS/4.0.1/05.13.04 JB/UL... where to go from here?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by occamsrazor, May 3, 2011.

1. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

I've read a load of guides but am still confused....
    My 3GS running 4.0.1(8A306) with baseband 05.13.04 was jailbroken using Jailbreakme.com and unlocked with Ultrasnow. Jailbreakme was easy to do and everything is working fine.
    But I increasingly come across apps requiring 4.1, 4.2 etc that can't be installed.
    What version would be the best to upgrade to and what is the easiest way - keeping both the jailbreak AND the unlock? I DO need the unlock, and a tethered solution is not an option.

2. occamsrazor thread starter macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

Have read every guide to jailbreaking unlocking I can find and still can't seem to understand exactly.

If need a solution that is unlocked and untethered, am I right in saying that I can use the latest Pwnage Tool to upgrade my 4.0.1JB to a 4.3.3 custom ipsw, preserving my 05.13.04 baseband, which will then work with the latest Ultrasnow unlock?
    And if I need to go back to 4.0.1 for some reason I can do so with my saved SHSHs?
    Thanks if you can help...

3. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

Everything you said is correct.

4. occamsrazor thread starter macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

Thank you for your clear answer, I'll give it a go.

Now my next question is, what is the best procedure to minimise the time spent re-installing and re-setting-up both my Apple and Cydia application? How much of this can be restored directly? Thanks...

5. stlblufan macrumors regular

stlblufan

try pkgbackup from cydia, it backs up your settings/cydia packages/screen layout/etc to dropbox (or your computer if you prefer) and lets you restore everything pretty easily when you re-JB. might have to run it a couple of times to get the complete restore (for iterative stuff), but works pretty well. there are other similar products but this is the only one that i have experience with.

6. occamsrazor thread starter macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

Thanks, that takes care of the Cydia apps.

So after I have completed the Pwnagetool process using the custom ipsw created by it.... how do I then restore all my contacts/settings/music etc? If I do a normal iTunes restore won't that overwrite the new jailbroken firmware? Thanks...

7. occamsrazor thread starter macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

Thanks everyone... all worked fine, now running 4.3.3 JB/UL

8. Rizvi1, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    I'm currently on almost the same boat you were on a few months ago. The iPhone 3gs was bought about a year ago and at the time, just jailbroke with jailbreakme.com and unlocked with ultrasn0w. Haven't made any changes yet. Want to upgrade to latest iOS possible but need to keep the unlock.

Seems these are the steps I should follow. I have PwnageTool downloaded and installed on my MacBook Pro. I was wondering what steps to follow to create the custom ipsw.

How do the saved SHSHs work? Attached is a screenshot of mine on Cydia which has SHSH information. I never knew what it was all about.

This part I'm not worried about because I'm restoring and handing phone off to my mom so she doesn't need any old apps, etc.

Attached Files:

9. labman macrumors 604

labman

Rizvi1 remove your serial number and IMEI ASAP you don't ever want to publicly share that info! simply edit it and black it out!

10. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    Thanks for the warning. Just edited the images I uploaded.