3Gs & 4 > 4S Dock???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Artimus12, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Artimus12 macrumors 6502

Artimus12

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere on the net...

has anybody else noticed that iPhone docks designed for the 3Gs\4 don't fully charge the 4S properly?

I'm one of the lucky ones that can get two days usage out of my (launch day, original install iOS5) 4S between charges, I had a battery issue to start with, but disabling wifi sync, time zone setting & a reboot cured it.

Yesterday when it was plugged into my laptop doing the usual sync\charge, I noticed the battery was almost full! it only managed 99% before I had to go upstairs to get showered, so I unplugged it and took it with me to put on the clock\dock in the bedroom to top it off ..as I did so it went to 100%, so I took it back off the dock and it dropped to 99%. :confused:

I put it back on the dock and it immediately went up to 100% again.

Given that the 4S battery is slightly more powerful than the 4, I can only surmise that my dock doesn't fully charge my 4S as it did my 4! it would also fit with a lot of internet chatter of battery life dropping to 96% immediately after removing from charge, if those users are continuing to use their dock from previous models.

It seems the only way to fully charge the 4S is via the charger that came in the box, USB or with a dock designed specifically for the 4S battery.

what do you think?

edit: Mods.. if this is in the wrong section, please move it. Thanks.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I think the battery meter isn't precise and is intended to give an approximation not an absolute value

3. Artimus12 thread starter macrumors 6502

Artimus12

thanks for taking the time to reply, and I would agree with that, but.. thinking back over the past month or so I can also remember picking it up after an overnight charge on said dock, and not being happy that as soon as I've checked e-mails, the battery has dropped to 90 odd%! Also it doesn't explain how, in the past, I've been able to get 10-20 minutes use before it drops to 99%!

It doesn't display this behaviour when charged via USB or the mains charger - only the dock.

Perhaps the meter is more accurate than we think? afterall, it's not in Apple's ethos to do approximations - despite what press releases designed to temporarily appease might say! What makes Apple products so very usable is their exacting standards.

4. AlphaVictor87 macrumors 6502a

AlphaVictor87

last night was the first time i've had a problem charging my 4s. Usually i wake up with it 100%. Today i woke up, didn't take a look at the battery and pulled it off the charger (the one that came with my 4s) and i was very surprised to see it was only at 95%.

I plugged it in last night at 1%, as i was about to go to sleep i saw it at around 46% and it had about another 6 hours on the charger so i know that it had plenty of time to charge fully.

I charged it up to 99% with my fm tuner in my car on the way to work, but yah today is the first time i've had an issue. I'll just have to see if it happens tomorrow.