3GS - 9 hours of battery life on wifi?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by uballer, Jul 12, 2009.

1. uballer macrumors newbie

Anyone able to reach this claim by Apple?

[​IMG]

Seems like I won't even make it to 8 hours on a full charge. This is all safari use.

3g ON Full Bars
    Wifi ON 2-3 Bars
    Location Services ON
    Bluetooth OFF
    Call Forwarding was on for the sake of the test.

[​IMG]

3G surfing is great! No call forwarding here, though.

The battery life is solid on the phone and I'm happy with it, but it seems like that 9 hours on wifi claim is kind of crazy. My standby doesn't eat much battery at all.....

2. SephirothXR macrumors 6502

[​IMG]
    Guess it depends on your settings or maybe Apple did screw up the hardware on some phones.

3. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

turn off your 3G radio and location services and try again.

4. uballer thread starter macrumors newbie

Apple conducted their test with all settings default.

I assume this means 3G on and Location on as well. I have great 3G reception so it shouldn't be using a lot of extra life.

http://www.apple.com/iphone/battery.html

5. Inksworth macrumors regular

Inksworth

On my 3GS, I've clocked it at eating 1% on the battery every 5 minutes and a few seconds in change (15 secs-ish).

So... mathematically speaking I could get about 8.75 hours of use before the phone powers down. This is without phone time or going into standby. I leave my location services and push turned on. Fetching mail on one of three accounts once an hour. I leave my brightness very, very low mostly because it can be blindingly bright. Call forwarding is not on.

Granted, this is totally synthetic. I don't have the patience to surf the web for 9 hours at home to be sure though.

6. koopa35 macrumors 6502

I've had 10 standby and 5 hours usage all on wifi once and I had 10% left on my batt. And 10 standby and 4 usage on 3g.

Attached Files:

7. uballer thread starter macrumors newbie

It depends on how often you're loading webpages, as well.

My brightness is around 50%, but it seems there are too many variables to even test this properly. Like whether you spend more time looking at picture albums or reading articles.

Still 7-8 hours of general safari use over wifi is pretty good. That's a couple days worth.

8. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

Assuming this is 3.0, I am telling you you'll be more excited over 3.1's results. On a first gen iPhone, I'm getting 8 + hours of normal usage (wifi browsing, music, 3D games, email, and all that stuff) constantly, as apposed to 5-6 hours on 3.0.

9. koopa35 macrumors 6502

I haven't had that much on 3.1. My pics are of 3.1 and te most I get is 5 hrs normal use

10. Inksworth macrumors regular

Inksworth

This is true. I was mostly reading text-heavy pages, like Wikipedia and IMDB. So I was loading about once every 3-4 minutes or so. Not really media rich sites so much.

I've been paying a lot of attention to my battery though the past day or so, I got a non-name brand car charger, and used it for about 10 minutes. Not sure if I trust it or not, so I've been watching my battery performance pretty closely. (To pleasant results, given my previous measurement.) Currently seeing how long I can keep the battery going. I'll post a usage shot once I get to around 20%.

11. alFR macrumors 68020

Not quite:

Did you replicate those settings for your test? I assume the idea of having dedicated webservers is to minimise page load times and thus minimise the amount of wireless activity. However, you're unlikely to have a local webserver I suppose. :)