3GS and iOS5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dr. McKay, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Dr. McKay macrumors 6502a

I currently have a Nokia E5 smartphone. Nothing fancy, but it does the job. However, I've been wanting an iPhone for a long time, but the price has been holding me back.
    The iPhone 4(S) is too expensive for me, but what about the 3Gs ? It's still available to buy so is it still worth it ?
    I wouldn't mind having an older model, but how does it do with iOS5 ?

I've heard mixed feedback : some people say it runs just fine, others say it's dog slow. So who's right ?

2. jj48 macrumors regular

Apple are selling it with iOS 5 as standard. I really doubt they would leave the 3GS as a purchase option if they weren't sure about it's performance with iOS 5. Incidentally I had iOS 5 on my 3GS for a while, and speed wasn't an issue at all.

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

The 3GS, runs just fine with iOS 5. I still have mine and only use it as a iPod and such. I've had no issues with it or iOS 5.

It's not as fast as my 4S, but that is to be expected.

4. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

I had it on my 3GS before I bought the 4S, and it ran fine. Sure, it wasn't as fast as the 4 or 4S run it, but still perfectly usable. My mom has my old 3GS and is enjoying iOS5 now :)