3GS Crack In Case. Options?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sedrick, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Just noticed I've got a serious crack in my 10 month old 3GS around the connector slot. What options are there? (return, exchange for old refurb, lump it....)

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Simple. Take it to Apple they will replace it. You will probably get a refurb that is as good as new! :)

3. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

Take it to an apple store they will check for water damage( most of the time) it there is no sign they will replace it on the spot with a refirb. Get apple care it will most likely happen again then right before the warranty expires swap it out again.

4. EddyP macrumors 6502

Really? Even for a crack? Not to knock the OP but it's not like that's a manufacturing defect. It's most likely due to careless handling of the phone.

I don't mean to sound harsh with the word "careless". I'm just saying it's probably from dropping the phone or something. Not a manufacturing defect.

5. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

this is a widespread problem with the 3G/3GS. just do some Googling.

6. Yoda3984 macrumors member

Yoda3984

Not necessarily true. I never once dropped my 3GS, but within the first 6 months I had it, it cracked in the same spot - by the dock connector. Took it to an Apple Store and they replaced it.

I'm not saying it wasn't caused by dropping it in the case of the OP, but it can happen.

7. EddyP macrumors 6502

Jesus, lighten up. I didn't know. That's why I asked.

Sorry I don't google every time someone has a cracked phone. :rolleyes:

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

...because everything on the Internet is true. And it's simply not possible there is more than one person posting about this problem who accidentally damaged their phone. :rolleyes:

9. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I got my 3G replaced for a crack near the dock connector a couple of years ago. There was no issue and no drama: took it to the Genius bar and the guy just checked for water damage and then swapped it out for a refurb

10. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I had the same exact problem with my white 3GS. Apple Genius replaced it on the spot. It's a defect.

11. EddyP macrumors 6502

lol

I just looked at my 3GS. Sure enough, there's a tiny crack (about 1/8 inch) near the headphone jack.

I have dropped my phone about 300 times. I don't give a crap about getting a new one.

12. Sedrick thread starter macrumors 68030

Sedrick

gotta ask: What are the chances of getting a trade-up discount (to a 4)?

13. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

No chance whatsoever.

I attempted this and failed.

Just tell the Genius you noticed a crack near the dock connector, you're worried it might spread and get bigger, and that you are aware of this widespread defect.

14. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Over exaggerating...

15. Sedrick thread starter macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Hmm, might just take this opportunity to get a white back. Any good sources for 32G 3GS backs?

16. EddyP macrumors 6502

No. Ya think? :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I have dropped it many times (no case). So has my daughter. It's surprisingly tough.

17. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I also got a crack near the dock
    connector. It is a common defect on these poly cases.

So they can exchange it for a refurb one even though the 1 year warranty has ended? Or are u SOL once warranty expires?

18. milani macrumors 68000

milani

My 3G cracked for no apparent reason. It is pretty well-documented at this point. It's just a design flaw, unfortunately. No matter how much you baby your phone it will eventually crack (based on the circle of people I know that own 3G/S models, every single one of them cracked eventually). I believe the problem is due to stress from the dock connector, but I can't say for certain.

19. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Well, mine is fine but I suppose it might be a matter of time. Mind you, my 3GS has been in a case since the first day I owned it. The case is a Mophie Juice Pack Air, and it uses a micro-USB for recharging so there's not much stress on the iPhone's dock connector. I have dropped the phone a couple of times onto a wood floor, but no crack yet...

20. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Interesting, I've had the same crack on my 3Gs for about 8 months now. Had no idea at all it was a "defect". Plus the top button (sleep mode) dropped off a couple months ago. Nearest Apple store is an hour north of me. NOt sure if I'll head up or just wait for the next Gen of iPhone.

Mike

21. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

If you still have your one year warranty, you should totally make an appointment with a Genius and have it replaced, tell him/her that you found a hairline crack on your device and that you are worried it might spread also that you know this is a common defect amongst iPhone 3G/3GS'

Read this as well: Get the most from your iPhone's Warranty

22. EddyP macrumors 6502

Ah ha! Thank you.

Patient zero for the "my iPhone needs to be replaced" disease. There's the source for the "it's a known defect" talk.

23. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

i didn't need to Google anything. i was around back then when the "cracking" issue was a pretty big problem here.

phones out of the box were cracking... just saying.

24. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

No, I purchased late July 2009. DID get AppleCare though, but I'm not up on that. I'm content to wait for next Gen. Plus, with my gas mileage I don't feel like spending $50 to get a re-furb for the next 5 months. If I'm not happy with what the iPhone 5 offers I might drive up then assuming AppleCare covers this crack and button up to two years.

Mike

25. dacapo macrumors 6502

I just discovered a hairline crack on my 3gs, near the dock connector.

It's out of warranty. What are the options?

Should I try to buy a replacement backing off of eBay and replace it? Seems kind of a scary task though...