3GS digitiser replaced - speaker no longer working

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by biohead, Mar 23, 2012.

1. biohead macrumors 6502

Ive had to replace my partners 3GS digitiser as she smashed it.

I've replaced the digitiser itself - bought a complete frame assembly and swapped just the LCD over. Reassembling it, the little speaker doesn't work.

Now, I was aware that the little connector to which the speaker connects on the mainboard is extremely fragile. I did take care with it, but it's my first port of call. What does work however is the proximity sensor which is on the same connector. If that connector gets damaged, does it all stop working or partially like I'm seeing? I'm hoping it's just a duff assembly I've received where the speaker is knackered.

2. chambone macrumors 6502a

chambone

If you were careful while installing you probably got a lemon. I took the screen off my 3GS at least four times with no adverse effects. If I were you I would reseat the connector, and if it still doesn't work send it back as faulty. Pain in the bum but a phone with a non-functioning earpiece is useless.

where did you get the front+digitizer?

3. biohead thread starter macrumors 6502

eBay. I've already had to fit it as the old screen was unusable. Bought it off eBay for £11 so not too much of a loss.