3Gs Getting from 3.1 /05.11.07 safely to 3.1.3 /05.11.07 Help please

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Bdubb, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Bdubb macrumors regular

Bdubb

So I am on 3.1.0 (3.1) firmware and on 05.11.07 baseband on a 3Gs, and I want to get to 3.1.3 and stay at 05.11.07. I'd like to do this the safest and most effective way.

I watched some Youtube vids on how to get from 3.1.2 Jbroken 3Gs to 3.1.3 without changing the 5.11.07 baseband, but how do I get to 3.1.2 jailbreak safely from 3.1 first so I can move from there to 3.1.3 unchanged 05.11.07

If somebody can even supply me with simple links, I would appreciate it.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I just couldn't find it, I looked around quite a bit.

2. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

PwnageTool is (always) your best bet but tell me, what's in 3.1.3 that makes you want to risk your unlock? :rolleyes:

3. Bdubb thread starter macrumors regular

Bdubb

I don't care for unlocking it, just want to jailbreak! SFIV runs on 3.1.2 WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM

4. WhatAmI macrumors 6502a

WhatAmI

Ok, you said you cared for yr baseband so assumed you relied on unlock. Anyway, check the jailbreak matrix thread but again - the safest route will always be PwnageTool 3.1.5

5. pixelated macrumors 6502a

pixelated

if he uses pwnage tool he doesn't risk his unlock:confused:

6. Bdubb thread starter macrumors regular

Bdubb

Well sorry, maybe I should have elaborated, for now I am running my phone at a legit provider (Rogers) so unlocking is not an issue at this point, but it doesn't mean I want to permanently block my phone from unlocking possibilities, basically I want the latest firmware (3.1.3) without of course getting on the 05.12.01 baseband,

This would have been simple if my current firmware was 3.1.2 and jailbroken, but unfortunately it's still only at 3.1. and it hasn't been jailbroken or unlocked or anything, which makes things a little more complicated.

I just don't want to pull something really stupid and try to unlock and jailbreak a 'virgin' (is that the term used?!?) 3.1 firmware 3Gs to a 3.1.3 unlock and JB.

thank you for the suggestions WhatAmI: I am checking out the MatrixJB thread, once I have the time to do this, I might need more help, for now I just want to see how complicated this procedure would be.

7. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I don't really understand why you want 3.1.3. If you are not having problems at 3.1, there really is no reason to upgrade. If you really want to upgrade, you might want to go to 3.1.2, but there is nothing in 3.1.3 to recommend it over 3.1.2. I would strongly suggest stopping at 3.1.2 jailbroken.

The best way to get to 3.1.2 jailbroken is using PwnageTool to upgrade your phone to a custom 3.1.2 firmware. Be sure to use expert mode and uncheck the activation checkbox, since you are on an official carrier and can activate your phone using your official SIM. Since your phone is unpwned, you will have to have PwnageTool will pwn your bootloader (be sure your phone is plugged in and that you answer that your phone has never been pwned at the end of the ipsw creation sequence).

If you do not have access to a Mac, I would suggest using Redsn0w to jailbreak at 3.1 (if you use a tutorial which instructs you to restore to the official firmware first, just skip that step). Then obtain a custom 3.1.2 firmware made with PwnageTool from a trusted source and use that to upgrade to 3.1.2 jailbroken. Be sure to get an unactivated firmware, since you are on an official carrier and can activate your phone using your official SIM.

Once again, there is absolutely no reason to upgrade to 3.1.3 once you are at 3.1.2 jailbroken. None.

8. Bdubb thread starter macrumors regular

Bdubb

Thank you Sooo much, I apprecaite your time and giving me very clear step by step instructions, this is pretty much what I was looking for...

thanks again for your generous, clear and step by step instructions, I haven't received my 3Gs phone yet, once I do, I will follow your instructions and stay on 3.1.2.

9. Loader macrumors newbie

Latinist - your expertise is requested.

Latinist, I'm seeking your expert advice on the following:

Desperately need to jb and unlock 3GS with:
    Firmware: 3.1(7C144)
    Baseband: 05.11.07
    Bootloader: 359.3

Would pwnage3.1.5 perform all the steps required? I’m a newbie to this forum and am desperately searching for the best option to perform a seemless, quick and easy jailbreak and unlock. I’ve been reading forums for a week steady. Came across the jailbreakmatrix and noticed there are a number of different tools (blackrain, redsn0w, etc) available. Have access to a mac but am a windows weenie. I will be travelling to Europe and having an extended stay, so, the ability to drop in a local SIM card for calls + sms would be the best option. Don’t have a clue if a ‘pay-as-you-go’ data plan exists. Any help would greatly be appreciated. :confused:

10. Lewis249 macrumors newbie

Please help

Can you please help me with this situation please. Here is what I have:

iphone 3gs week 46, jailbroken and unlocked
    firmware: 3.1.2
    baseband: 05.11.07

Right now the phone just freeze and i cant do anything with it except for upgrading to 3.1.3. Is there any remedy for this at all? If i upgrade it to 3.1.3, will it keep the current baseband 05.11.07? with firmware 3.1.3 and baseband 05.11.07, can it be unlocked? I really appreciate your advice.

11. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

If you have saved your SHSH blobs for 3.1.2, you can use Saurik's method to try and restore. Other than that, no other options unless you have the old (untethered jailbreak) baseband.

If you upgrade to 3.1.3 a new, currently unlockable baseband will be installed.

12. Lewis249 macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for the information. If the new unlockable baseband will be install along with the 3.1.3 upgrade, how is it possible that there are iphone 3gs with firmware 3.1.3 and old baseband 05.11.07?

13. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

They were updated using Pwnage Tool which never updates the baseband. So those with 5.11.xx. baseband were are 3.1 or 3.1.2 and used PT to go to 3.1.3.

14. Lewis249 macrumors newbie

So could i do the same thing? upgrade to 3.1.3 with baseband 5.11.07 and then jailbreak and unlock with available software?

15. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Well, Pwnage Tool does the jailbreak. And many are having issues with Blacksn0w and 3.1.3 so I certainly would never recommend doing it.

16. Twix macrumors newbie

No Luck at all

Best Suggestion,

1. I have iphone 3GS 3.1.2 baseband 05.11.07. Bought from eBay pre jainbroken and unlocked with Blackra1n. ( you have to always keep blara1n installed on your desktop or anywhere in your harddisk partition in order to reboot this perticular device.)

2. The first problem I faced on a very first day was - I mistakenly rebooted the phone to avoid calls at night. Woke up in the morning. It started with recovery mode ( it simply goes into recovery mode today also in attempt to reboot).

3 . So solution to get rid of the recovery loop. iRecovery - does not work at all. I dont use MAC laptop or desktop , if you have that , best luck.

4. So went on to youtube and studied a dozens of videos for the same loop avoidance and upgrading to 3.1.3 to 4.0.

5. I tried to upgrade this device with sn0wbreeze latest version.
    and successfully able to creat a custom ipsw of ios 4.o ( not going for
    3.1.3)
    6. I had to put the phone on DFU mode - did it successfully. (videos are there on you tube to learn how to DFU )

7. www.saurik.com website has a trick or tip to bypass the apple signature server to talk to saurik server with an ip address and corresponding server name to update your host files on windows operating systems. I did that before my attempt to restore and upgrade to ios 4.0 from itunes.

8. I did that too. I have encountered two diffrent errors in two independant tries. error 1600 and error 1604.

9 one of the above error has something to do to contact apple actual signature server as well as your usb cable which you receive when you buy an iphone. Yes may be usb cable evenif it syncs your iphone but cannot update your ios , this is wierd but fact.

Conclusion:

One of my friend who is expert in iDevices has a very good suggestion for me and all that IF YOU BOUGHT YOUR IPHONE 3GS 3.1.2 BASBAND 05.011.07. FROM EBAY OR OFFICIALLY JAILBRROK AFTER NOVEMBER 2009. APPLE HAS CHANGED THE SERIAL NUMBERS TO SOME XXX40XXX SERIES ( >= 40 ).

These iPHONES are only be jailbroken and unlocked with blackra1n or blacksn0w from cydia.

There are many many issues which are not addressed by apple on ios 4.xxx
    3GS has all the features unless multitasking . Just for multitasking you should not take a risk to permenantly loose your expensive device.

Stick to 3GS 3.1.2 BASEBAND 05.11.07. Do not accept any update from itunes or simply check the box on start of itunes to not ask me again for such device firmware updates and you are safe. However you can update your itunes to any latest available ( it is 10.xxx now as of today Sept 18 2010).

Well Guys ! if you have found any other way to update your ios 3.1.2 with baseband 05.11.07. kindly post it here.

Best luck
    Twix...

17. Twix macrumors newbie

Success

1. Download ios 4.0.1 from
    http://www.redmondpie.com/jailbreak...with-jailbreakme-2.0-star-how-to-guide-video/

2. Donload Umbrella latest version. Run umbrella as an administrator.
    Copy .shsh from cydia for 3.1.2 as well as 4.0.1.
    3. Make ios 4.0.1 winrar file to ipsw.
    open winrar. Files -- save copy as -- insert .ipsw at the end of the name
    save it to desktop.
    4. open itunes. Shift Restore - browse to the above ipsw file ( 377 MB ) on
    the desktop.
    5 . Restoration will start and will take some time.

6. Use original sim card came with iphone ( commonly At&T in USA ).

7. Go to the home screen.. Start wifi. Open Safari,
    go to www.jailbreakme.com. Wait untill it finises and install Cydia.

8. Go to Cydia - Sources - Edit - Add www.sinfuliphonerepo.com. Done.
    9. Go to Package - Sinfuliphone - now find ultrasn0w.. , install ultrasn0w.
    10. Reboot your iphone.

Congrats !

Before -- 3GS 3.1.2 - 05.11.07 baseband , every reboot goes into recovery.

Now -- 3GS 4.0.1(8A306) - 05.13.04 baseband. Successfully reboots your
    iphone.

Enjoy..
    TWIX...