3GS / IOS 4.0 / 05.13.04 - How to save SHSH, jailbreak & unlock

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by occamsrazor, Aug 25, 2010.

1. occamsrazor macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

Hi,

Sorry for the newbie questions, I've read a lot but am a little confused. I have an iPhone 3GS, never jailbroken before, running IOS 4.0 (not 4.01 or 4.02), activated to an official carrier:

Device: iPhone3GS 4.0 (8A293)
    Model: MC133AB/A
    Baseband: 05.13.04 - 6.4_M3S2

I would like to jailbreak and unlock it, making sure I can revert to non-jailbroken official software/firmware later if I want, or if I screw something up. Jailbreakme would appear to be the easiest way.

I read it's important to save my SHSH with TinyUmbrella first, but also read here that Apple has stopped signing 4.0.1 SHSHs (but is 4.0 still OK?)

1. I ran TinyUmbrella and it seemed to work. When I click "Display SHSHs" it appears under "The following Devices / ECIDs can be restored safely", I can find the SHSH file locally, and the log says:

>> TSS Server has cached the following files: >> iPhone3GS 4.0 (8A293)-xxxxxxxxxxxx >> Devices with ECIDs matching the above AND restoring to the exact firmware version listed above will succeed!

So does that mean I am safe and can always revert to firmware 4.0? I didn't really understand why the Tinyumbrella blog said it's too late for 4.01, but my 4.0 appeared to work.

2. Is Jailbreakme the recommended way to jailbreak this particular device combination?

3. Should I somehow upgrade to 4.01 or stay at 4.0? If so at what point in the jailbreak process to upgrade? 4.02 is not recommended, right?

4. If I can successfully upgrade with Jailbreakme, what is the recommended method to unlock it?

5. If I want to revert all this to non-jailbroken 4.0 firmware/software, how would I do it?

Many thanks....

2. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

1) No, Apple has stopped signing any firmware <4.0.2. If you have to restore you will be forced to upgrade to that.

2) Yes, it's your only option.

3) It's not possible for you to upgrade to 4.0.1

4) ultrasn0w it's in cydia

5) You'll have to restore to 4.0.2

3. occamsrazor thread starter macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

That was my reading of the blog post too.... but then why does TinyUmbrella say my device can be restored safely?

So you are saying I can still jailbreak now, and if I have to restore I could still do so, but that if I did I'd have to then go to 4.0.2 which would prevent (using current methods) jailbreaking it again?

Thanks...

(Edit: Seem you updated your post above already with answers to my questions. Thanks)

4. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Click on 'Display SHSHs' on tiny and it will show you what firmwares you will be able to restore to.

5. occamsrazor thread starter macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

This is why I'm confused. If Apple isn't signing anything <4.0.2, why does it say I can safely restore to 4.0? See screenshot attached

Attached Files:

6. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Did you happen to use tiny before to save a blob and forgot about it?

7. occamsrazor thread starter macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

Hmm..... now that you mention it, I might have done. I don't remember doing so, but do remember playing around with various jailbreaking software (though never actually jailbroke) before.

Is that the only explanation? Do you think I am safe? TinyUmbrella did create a .shsh file in my /Users/<your username>/.shsh folder with filename: 645xxxxxxxxx-iphone-4.0.shsh

8. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Yeah, I guess you might have saved it by accident but a happy accident none the less. Feel free to go to jailbreakme.com and jailbreak away. You'll safely be able to restore back to 4.0.

EDIT: you can check the file date on the SHSH to see when it was made, that might give you a hint.

9. occamsrazor thread starter macrumors 6502

occamsrazor

I did, and it is today. Weird.

10. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

It's because you click 'Save my SHSH' and it request a copy from cydia's server.

11. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

Subscribed.
    I am also in the same boat. I have a 3GS with 4.0. I would like to Unlock it and Jb it. I am planning on selling it after, so unlocking would be beneficial to make the sale.