Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
looks like dev-team is ready for official release real soon...read cpich from dev-team twitter

http://twitter.com/cpich3g

Alright. Cool. Although, I don't really care all that much to be honest. I still am on 3.0 as I figured Apple would be releasing another update soon after the 3.0.1 update came out. So, I never upgraded then.

Now I am kinda in the same boat. With all the trouble that I have heard 3.1 is causing, I am thinking that Apple will once again be releasing another update before too long like a 3.1.1 to try to fix the battery issues and stuff that people have been complaining of.

3.0 is working perfect for my phone, and I just don't know if I want to risk the update for no real new features. Anyone else feel the same way, or is it just me? :D

sparrky

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2008
California
Same here. I never update right away because I like to see what everyone thinks of it first. I've heard nothing but complaints about 3.1 so I'm waiting. I'm on 3.0 and have no problems, so why mess with it. ;)

mstier09

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
I am right with you, 3.0 and 3.0.1 are working great and I'm happy with the state of my jailbreak. The only feature in 3.1 I think is cool is the non-destructive video editing, but even that isn't all that compelling. The only real reason I can see for upgrading is the new trend of AppStore apps requiring 3.1 firmware i.e. Snapture, Dropbox. While these apps specifically aren't enough to convince me to switch I can see this trend making it harder to avoid 3.1. Especially considering many of the Augmented Reality apps we've been promised (I believe) require APIs specific to the 3.1 firmware.

theman510

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2009
New Jersey
3GS running 3.0 and I'm not going to upgrade even if the jailbreak for 3.1 comes out. It's not worth it to me. I'm completely happy with what I have now and it would take a big major change for me to upgrade.

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
If we were to do this update when it comes out, would we have to download everything from Cydia again (all our jailbroken apps)?

TheHeadFL

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2009
I wouldn't jump the gun on this guys.

This is encouraging news to be sure, but I don't think it means they are on the verge of releasing yet.

Why?

- 3.1 itself is already exploitable, that is obviously known because there is a 3G jailbreak out.

- Notice that they said they are going 3.0 JB -> 3.1 JB. That means they are piggybacking off of the fact that a 3.0 JB iPhone has an iBoot that will accept unsigned firmwares.

- The critical issue for the 3GS is the 'foot in the door', via iBoot. This means that in order to have a 'true' 3GS jailbreak, they need to find a way to exploit the 3.1 iBoot on the 3GS in such a way that it bypasses the ECID signature checks. This process isn't involved in what was described there.

What I think he is talking about there is crafting a custom IPSW that contains the 3.1 firmware (but probably the 3.0 iBoot), and the 3.0 baseband. This is something that is certainly possible to release a tool for, but they dont seem to like to release half-assed or incomplete tools (see: delaying redsn0w), so I just don't see it yet.

vexatia

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2008
Thanks, that was very helpful...but also saddening. Bah! My friend bricked his jb'ed phone (trying to erase all data and settings following a navigon update) and received a new phone from apple that contained 3.1. Now, no jb for him and no prospect for a jb in the near future.

I wouldn't jump the gun on this guys.

This is encouraging news to be sure, but I don't think it means they are on the verge of releasing yet.

Why?

- 3.1 itself is already exploitable, that is obviously known because there is a 3G jailbreak out.

- Notice that they said they are going 3.0 JB -> 3.1 JB. That means they are piggybacking off of the fact that a 3.0 JB iPhone has an iBoot that will accept unsigned firmwares.

- The critical issue for the 3GS is the 'foot in the door', via iBoot. This means that in order to have a 'true' 3GS jailbreak, they need to find a way to exploit the 3.1 iBoot on the 3GS in such a way that it bypasses the ECID signature checks. This process isn't involved in what was described there.

What I think he is talking about there is crafting a custom IPSW that contains the 3.1 firmware (but probably the 3.0 iBoot), and the 3.0 baseband. This is something that is certainly possible to release a tool for, but they dont seem to like to release half-assed or incomplete tools (see: delaying redsn0w), so I just don't see it yet.

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
What's the difference between hacking an iPhone and jailbreaking an iPhone? Is a hack unlocked? Or does it mean something else?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
What's the difference between hacking an iPhone and jailbreaking an iPhone? Is a hack unlocked? Or does it mean something else?

Hacking is a general term for interfering with or modifying the way a device was intended to operate. Jailbreaking and unlocking are specific types of hacks. Jailbreaking is to hack an iPhone/iPod touch so that the file system becomes accessible to the end user. Unlocking is hacking an iPhone so you can use it with a different cell phone carrier than the one it was intended to be used with.

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
Hacking is a general term for interfering with or modifying the way a device was intended to operate. Jailbreaking and unlocking are specific types of hacks. Jailbreaking is to hack an iPhone/iPod touch so that the file system becomes accessible to the end user. Unlocking is hacking an iPhone so you can use it with a different cell phone carrier than the one it was intended to be used with.

Thank you! I was confused by this. So both would be considered "hacks", right?

What are some other "hacks" iPhone users can do?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Thank you! I was confused by this. So both would be considered "hacks", right?

What are some other "hacks" iPhone users can do?

Yes, both jailbreaking and unlocking are "hacks." As for other "hacks," well, once you jailbreak, you can change the background and icons to customize the look of your iPhone, run apps in the background, change the way you get pop-up notifications, have your appointments and other info on your lockscreen (the screen you get when you first turn on the phone, before you "slide to unlock"), etc, etc.

TheHeadFL

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2009
Thanks, that was very helpful...but also saddening. Bah! My friend bricked his jb'ed phone (trying to erase all data and settings following a navigon update) and received a new phone from apple that contained 3.1. Now, no jb for him and no prospect for a jb in the near future.

I really wouldn't say no prospect for a jb in the near future...

vexatia

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2008
What's OTB?

"out of the box" I think. Since my friend had to exchange his phone, he would fall into this category. So, it may be a long time before he can re-jb. No jb Really sux if you're accustomed to using backgrounder, 3g unrestrictor, pdanet and kirikae.

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
So my iPhone 3GS which has already been JB'ed and unlocked will work with the 3.1 hack which is coming out soon?

TheHeadFL

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2009
http://twitter.com/cpich3g

# Further to my last post, the 3gs 3.1 jailbreak does not apply to OTB or non-downgradable 3.1 deviceabout 11 hours ago from mobile web

Yes, I am up to date on the dev-team tweets.

That does not mean 'no prospect of JB in the near future'. He is referring to the specific hack he applied. Furthermore, greenpois0n is being worked on by a different set of people, and they've said nothing about it being restricted that way.

PaulAshcroft25

macrumors member
Oct 2, 2009
Newbie question:
I have been given this link: http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4447
and I don't know whether it is worth trying? It is basically a way to downgrade to 3.0 from 3.1 for the 3GS. I know that Apple have stopped doing the signing and stuff so am I wasting my time trying whats in the link? Am I best waiting for the 3GS Jailbreak to be released? I have Microsoft Windows Vista...Iphone 16gb 3GS

aeaglex07

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2007
United States

That does not mean 'no prospect of JB in the near future'. He is referring to the specific hack he applied. Furthermore, greenpois0n is being worked on by a different set of people, and they've said nothing about it being restricted that way.

Im hoping there is some way around the ECID/Signing issue, assuming that is the roadblock we've run into.

*Keeping fingers crossed*

vexatia

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2008

I've tried googling greenpoison a few times, but cannot find a good, deep repository of information. Does someone maintain a web page, or does their audience rely exclusively on twitter?

TheHeadFL

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2009
I've tried googling greenpoison a few times, but cannot find a good, deep repository of information. Does someone maintain a web page, or does their audience rely exclusively on twitter?

There is a chronic dev team blog floating around somewhere on the net, I dont have the link handy though.

Google 'chronic dev' and 'greenpois0n' (that specific spelling)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.