Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhoneNewPcOld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2012
I have a family member's iPhone 3GS 8GB that was unlocked and jailbroken at the point of sale. Hardware/Software unlock?, I can’t find out – vendor is gone.

The iPhone was jailbroken and using v4.1 OS. Wasn't running too well so they synced it with iTunes to Apple IOS 5.01!!! Yes, they didn’t realize what they were doing... BootRom is now 3.59.3.2, if that is useful info

I cannot activate the iPhone, due to it needing to be unlocked.

I can’t determine the firmware version using any of the many online methods described, including the dial *3001#12345#*, even with SIM, as the phone won't activate.

What tools and/or procedure can I use to safely unlock and jailbreak this iPhone, without causing potentially serious issues like the inability to unlock the iPhone, or baseband issues?

Is it too late already regarding unlock or baseband issues?

Is there a way to access the iPhone from a PC with a software tool that will interrogate the necessary iPhone firmware, baseband, other? details?

There are no blobs, restore points etc. available for this iPhone –eek!

The general concepts I get. Implementing a solution is way beyond me atm...

Crystal-RX

macrumors 68030
Dec 22, 2008
Seattle, WA USA
with what you describe, the phone has an Ipad baseband on it. So, what you can do now is to use redsn0w 0.9.10b4 to jailbreak it and then, flash ipad baseband again and then install ultrasn0w to unlock it.

Iclarified.com and/or redmondpie.com have step by step tutorial for you to do this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.