3GS on 4.1 and 5.13.04 . Snowed in by ultrasn0w! Not unlocking!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rwnano, Sep 7, 2012.

1. rwnano macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I have an apple iphone 3GS that I bought from the US, and got back to India. It was working fine until last month, whence it suddenly locked itself.

It turns out that it had upgraded the baseband to 6.15.

Now, I got redsn0w, and downgraded the iphone baseband after jailbreaking it . (it was already jailbroken, I did it again using redsnow)

The iphone baseband was gotten to 5.13.04. The OS that is running is 4.1

I have tried all manner of ultrasn0w from Cydia, it hasnt unlocked it at all!!!

Tried ultrasn0w, restarted the phone ----* many times.

Did not work. The device is locked! No unlocking.

What to do ? How do I unlock my phone to run it on a random SIM card???

Thanks a lot folks!

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It should unlock with that baseband.
    Try installing the ipad baseband 06.15.00 again with redsnow.
    Then downgrade it again and give it a shot with ultrasnow after.

3. rak007 macrumors 6502a

@OP

I would suggest paying under 15$ and getting a proper IMEI unlock done.

@Others
    Please correct me if i am wrong.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree with the above.
    Put the iphone in stock firmware and baseband and just get an imei unlock from ebay.
    Its pretty cheap and well worth it.

5. rwnano thread starter macrumors newbie

Good people, I am not in the US anymore and I dont have a dollar credit card anymore.

I am in India..land of the bullock carts and snake charmers and smart people.

What I can do, is ask the person I bought it from, to call up ATnT, his carrier and ask for an unlock.

When I moved, I asked T mobile for an unlock for my android phone. They emailed it to me and I used it, but it did not work. So I had to hack into the innards of the android and change a bit from 01 to 00 using a hex editor to unlock it.

Anyways, I remain open to ideas for the original Post. Any ??????

6. rak007 macrumors 6502a

First of all India is not a land of snake charmers and all such. I am myself from India but am in US currently. Btw you can have paypal account and pay using that on ebay.com
    If you are aware there are lots of people who are always buying stuff from ebay.com and such and get it shipped to India. I have done it too.

In case you are a member of any Indian tech forum, let me know your id there and i can help you more there too.

7. rwnano thread starter macrumors newbie

Good people, I am not in the US anymore and I dont have a dollar credit card anymore.

What I can do, is ask the person I bought it from, to call up ATnT, his carrier and ask for an unlock.

I believe the process outlined here is the one to be followed;
    http://techland.time.com/2012/04/11/unlock-an-att-iphone-in-5-easy-steps/

When I moved, I asked T mobile for an unlock for my android phone. They emailed it to me and I used it, but it did not work. So I had to hack into the innards of the android and change a bit from 01 to 00 using a hex editor to unlock it.

Anyways, I remain open to ideas for the original Post. Any ??????

And I have another question for the knowledgeable. If I get the unlock code from ATnT...can I upgrade from 4.1 to 5.1.1 and then unlock it?

Should I?

----------

try helping with the original post buddy....???

8. rak007 macrumors 6502a

Once you get your phone unlocked through AT&T, your iPhone will be permanently unlocked. Then you are free to upgrade iOS or anything. Your phone will not lock again. I have done this with my iPhone 4. I too had Ultrasn0w unlock before but after getting AT&T unlock, i updated the iOS to 5.1.1.
    Also in iPhone unlock you DO NOT get any code to enter anywhere.
    They unlock it from their side and next time you connect your iPhone to iTunes and restore (sometimes restore is not needed) you get a message on iTunes saying "Congratulations Your iPhone is unlocked".

I would still insist getting help of someone there who has paypal account to get a unlock code from ebay. Costs less than 15$

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Open an account on ebay, use paypal to purchase an IMEI unlock for $20-30 and you're good.
    You dont need to be in the US or have a US credit card for an ebay auction.
    All you do is give the seller the iphone IMEI and it will be factory unlocked within days.
    Its not that hard.

10. rak007 macrumors 6502a

There is one particular seller on ebay which is legit and many people on MC also vouch for it. Last checked 2 days back, he was charging some 12$ for unlocking iPhone 3G/3GS/4/4S which i feel is the cheapest on ebay (i might be wrong).

11. rwnano, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2012

rwnano thread starter macrumors newbie

And how do you then pay your paypal account ? It has to be linked with either a valid credit card or a bank account number.

I used to have a chase account with paypal and a couple of ccs earlier, don't have this facility now.

----------

Thanks. So I am going to call ATT, have them unlock myphone. And then connect my phone (with a SIM inside it) to itunes and then ?

REstore? Backup? Sync? just connect and start itunes and do nothing?

edit: going to follow this, which means the above questions are not valid.

5. When the e-mail arrives, back up and restore your iPhone in iTunes

Open iTunes on a computer that’s connected to the Internet. Make sure your iPhone has an active SIM card in it, then plug it into iTunes. Sync it with iTunes, then right-click on the device under the “Devices” column on the left side of the screen, and click “Back Up.” Once that’s finished, right-click on the device and select “Restore from Backup.”

If all goes well, you should get the following message in iTunes: “Unlock Complete. Congratulations, your iPhone has been unlocked. To set up and sync this iPhone, click Continue.” At this point, you should be able to insert SIM cards from other carriers.

For me, the unlock didn’t go smoothly. After backing up and restoring my phone, iTunes didn’t confirm the unlock. I tried doing a full restore, but that sent me back to the iPhone’s activation setup, which wouldn’t go through since I don’t have a spare SIM card and tray for the phone. I called AT&T back, and they said my unlock failed, and that someone would follow up with me in a couple of days. I’ll let you know how that turns out.

Read more: http://techland.time.com/2012/04/11/unlock-an-att-iphone-in-5-easy-steps/#ixzz25rmgQgyf

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's up to you to figure out if you need it done.
    There's prepaid credit cards also.
    About contacting AT&T you can try but if you're not a customer or didn't have an account with them before then they will not unlock it.