3GS replaced with iPhone 4 on warranty ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RafMac, May 5, 2011.

1. RafMac macrumors regular

Has anyone had their iPhone 3GS replaced with iPhone 4 on apple care warranty? if yes how, or did you get new 3GS?

2. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

3. Legion93 macrumors 6502a

Legion93

Really? I mean... Really? Well, good luck with that.

4. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Why would Apple give you an iPhone 4 if you paid for an iPhone 3GS?

If my MacBook Air were to ever fail on me, Apple wouldn't give me a MacBook Pro, I Paid for a MBA and that is what I would get in return (if repair is not an option).

5. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Easy guys. No need to rag on the OP. I think it's a perfectly legitimate question considering the iPhone 4 is about to be replaced by the next iPhone (and relegated to the 3GS's current status), AND the fact that Apple doesn't make the 16 or 32 gb 3GS anymore (i.e. they can't replace his 16 or 32 gb 3GS with another one unless they've got refurbs lying around, which they probably do).

To paraphrase one of you all...he bought a 3GS (16 or 32 gb). Why should he have to accept a 8 gb 3GS as a replacement? If Apple can't provide the bigger gb model to him as a replacement, then he's not getting what he paid for.

Just my .02.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yeah right, keep dreaming.

7. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

They still have refurbs, but he may have to wait a day or two for a transfer.

8. Pez555 macrumors 68000

Pez555

my ex had her 3GS replaced with an iPhone 4 through her insurance (not applecare) as they had no 3GS's anymore.

9. iFiend macrumors 65816

I guarantee that Apple has refurb units in 16 and 32 for this specific purpose. If they don't on hand I'm sure they'd order him one. And a lot of the time they do actual repair work on the 3GSs because their parts are easier to replace.

So no. No way, at all, that you will get an iPhone 4 replacement. Unless of course you own an iPhone 4

10. RafMac thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for so much for negativity here, it's not like I am expecting iPhone 4 as I am just curious if anyone go it. KentuckyHouse you got valid points here as I would not accept refurbished or smaller capacity from apple store since mine is 32GB. We have both iPhone 3 and 4 but 3GS is on its way out, good thing I bought AppleCare.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It's not negativity it's called reality.
    And you like it or not they replace iPhones under warranty with refurbs. Read the AppleCare information for details.

12. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

Apple almost always has refurbs on hand. If they don't, they will tell you to send your phone in to AppleCare, and AppleCare will send you a new one. They will never upgrade you, give you one with a smaller capacity, or give you one with a larger capacity. They will only give you the model that you paid for.

13. iFiend macrumors 65816

This

14. raq macrumors newbie

I had

...if you're making a reasonable case and do everything they ask you to do until they're left with no options left (and you're still facing the same issues you started off with), they will replace it for you. I had my 3GS replaced under AppleCare agreement with an iPhone4.

I think the argument above (with the Macbook Air to be replaced with a MacBook Pro) is totally ludicrous... iPhone4 is simply - iPhone 3GS some months later, nothing more (quantitative increments, not qualitative leaps).

There are no competing models (inferior and superior) as there are for Mac laptops. When one model gets replaced by another, there's no coexistence between the two. At the same time - the software updates totally disregard the capabilities of older models, tough there's no disclaimer advising you not to upgrade because your phone might not be able to take it. I bought my iPhone 3GS liking its performance under OS 3.2 (I believe it was back then), while the same phone under OS 4.3 is far from it. The moment you see how an iPhone4 behaves under the same conditions you understand this. Ultimately, what they want from you by doing this is for you to get discouraged and buy the new model.

In any case - good luck with whatever you're trying to do. Hopefully, you'll be happy and owning a good device whatever the outcome.

(I am not going to answer questions on specifics of what I did)

15. pyro008 macrumors 6502

I don't think those words mean what you think they mean.

16. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Did you join the forums just to say that?

17. raq macrumors newbie

to pyro008 - yes they do (did you hear my accent?). and if you would have followed my argument, you would agree.

to wordoflife - yes, because the poor guy that started this thread got attacked by an angry mob for no reason. That's why I posted on this thread.

Why did I join MacRumors? because the respect I was treated with during all this convinced me to retire my Dell laptop and get a MacBook Pro. you see - Dell never treated me with this kind of respect. so - you could say it worked. it got me hooked.

18. Racheleveritt macrumors newbie

I just had to file an insurance claim tonight. I had the 16 3GS and had to pay $199 for the iPhone 4 as the replacement. I did not check to see if there were any 3GS ones I could get so can't help you there. Sorry that people are being so mean to you. That's ridiculous.

19. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

You actually may be more in luck doing so if you wait until the new iPhone to come out and the 3GS becomes more scarce.

20. albertxp06 macrumors regular

Although Apple is almost always to have refurbs on hand, there's no need state incorrect info. Remember when Apple was short on refurbs and replaced some 4's with 4S'?

21. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

No, ridiculous is replying to a thread that's over a year old.

I'm sure the OP has long received their replacement 3GS by now.