3gs Speaker Not Working - No I'm not an idiot I know the one is the Mic :p

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by lloyd.smith., Nov 17, 2010.

1. lloyd.smith. macrumors member

My 3gs' speaker no longer works...so I'm stuck with it on permanent vibrate which isn't the best.

I've tried to put it through O2 as an insurance claim but they came back saying it is down to general wear and tear, my argument is that how can it be general wear and tear if it is an internal component of the device? Surely this should be covered (especially as I'm only on a 30 day rolling contract now that my original contract has expired they should want to keep me happy?)

If anyone has experienced this or knows what I should do next can you let me know please?

Cheers.:)

2. Gadgetgeezer macrumors regular

I have seen this before with a bad solder joint on the dock module where the speaker connects to it. It might be that or something else. Price to fix it is about £30 or so.

Regards

Spencer

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

4. lloyd.smith. thread starter macrumors member

apparently so yeah. It's no longer covered by warranty.

What worries me is they said if I do send it off;

1) O2 may not have a temp handset I can use whilst its away.
    2) Depending on what's wrong with it, I may have to pay to get it repaired!? Wtf I can't be held responsible for an internal component going fritz, it should be covered on the insurance.

5. iRepair macrumors newbie

iRepair

What is damaged on your iPhone is the dock connector assembly - this single component contains your charge port, microphone and external speaker.

The first thing you should do is check to see if this component has been damaged by liquid or humidity. Shine a light in your iPhone’s dock connector and look for the small white square shaped tab located at the bottom center of your iPhone’s charge port underneath the center bar that goes into your charger. If that white tab has turned pink or solid red your iPhone has taken in some type of liquid or humidity through its dock connector port.

Replacing this component should resolve this issue although if the phone has been extensively damaged by liquid the issue might come back. I would be hesitant about doing it yourself though as you must remove the logic board in order to replace this component. Hope this info helps.