3GS to replace Sprint phone (no cell signal in my office) Columbia, MO

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jjw14, Jul 7, 2009.

1. jjw14 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

First post, so I'll keep it short. My Sprint contract is up and I am considering ditching my Samsung M610 and jumping to AT&T for a 16GB 3GS. Here's why:
    • In my work office, I do not get a Sprint cell signal, but I do have WiFi access (on laptop; M610 does not have Wifi).
    • I need a way for people to reach me whether I'm at work, home, or on the road
    • I have a 1st Gen iPod Touch, but WiFi goes to sleep after a short period.

I doubt I will get an AT&T cell signal in my office. If I have an iPhone 3GS, will the WiFi stay active at all times (when I have access), even if I don't have an AT&T cell signal, or does it go to sleep? Basically, if someone cannot reach me by calling, I want them to be able to send me an IM through something like BeeJiveIM.

The iPhone 3GS has lots of great features, but I can't justify getting one if it just sits dead when I'm in my office.

Thanks for any help!!

P.S. Anyone else from Columbia, MO care to comment on iPhone 3GS voice quality, data quality, etc?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you have wifi in the office then regardless of cell coverage you'll have wifi (providing you're within range).

Why would you go with a carrier that doesn't have coverage in your area?
    Think about it.

Wifi doesn't allow you to make a call using your cell (unless you get a voip app I guess).

3. jjw14 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Jessica:

I knew I'd mess up my first post :eek:.

Both Sprint and AT&T have extensive voice and data (3G) coverage throughout Columbia, MO, where I live. The problem is that as soon as I enter my office, the walls are so thick that I cannot get a cell signal. It's actually a lab, so some areas aren't near a land line phone. If I could get a cell signal in my office I'd probably stick with Sprint, since I've never had a dropped call within Columbia, MO.

My hope was that the iPhone would give me a device that people could reach me on whether I had a 3G or Wifi signal. I realize I can't get a voice call through Wifi, but at least I would know someone was trying to reach me.

Did I make it clearer, or just muck it up worse?

Thanks!

4. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Sorry, I have to say it, I'm a Mizzou alum! Go Tigers and go to Trops and get the silver bullet for me.

WiFi should work great, and you can I'm through it too.

5. jjw14 thread starter macrumors newbie

You pegged me, Patrick :) Go Tigers! I guess if you live in Columbia, MO, you have a 50% chance of either working or studying at Mizzou. Congrats on graduating.

At the risk of being redundant - does the WiFi go to sleep after 10 min on the iPhone 3GS? That's been my problem all along with the iPod Touch (plus the 1st gen has no external speaker to notify me). If the 3GS Wifi stays awake all the time, that would work perfectly for me.

Thanks!

P.S. Did you have an iPhone while you were in Columbia? If so, how did you find the voice quality?