3Gs Unlock- the best firmware to so it on OS4 ?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ivop, Dec 20, 2010.

1. ivop macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I have a 3Gs that is currently running on 3.1.3 and is NOT unlocked or JB. I would like to upgrade it to OS4.0 and then JB and unlock. Which on is the best and easiest version to unlock? I've been reading the forums for the past few days but there doesnt seem to be a clear answer in which direction should I go. I was thinking about doing uprgade to 4.0.1 and then just using jailbreakme.com. I'd rather do untethered and not go to the ipad BB (6.15.00)
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated in the matter!

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

we need more information in order to give you that "best" way to do it.

do you have the SHSHs saved for 4.0.1, or 4.0.2?
    What BB do you have?
    All you want is to Unlock? is it acceptable to you to stay on 3.1.3? or you must upgrade to 4.x?

If you don't have SHSHs saved, them your only option is to upgrade to a 4.x is to do it to the current 4.2.1 which will upgrade your BB to a version currently no unlockable, which will give you only 1 option if you want to unlock, the iPad BB (which yo already mentioned you don't want to use)

3. ivop thread starter macrumors newbie

more info

Ok. The phone is currently on 3.1.3 so i dont have any SHSHs saved for 4.0 but I figured I can just download restore files for 4.0 or 4.1 from the net. Im not sure which baseband Im running but will check as soon as I get home. Can I download SHSHs for whichever version I would be upgrading to from the net?
    To answer your other question - I want to upgrade so I can use multitasking and folders. Thanks for your help!

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

No, you figured wrong, you cannot "just download restore files for 4.0 or 4.1 from the net"

SHSHs are device and IOS version dependent, you cannot just download SHSHs form the "net" you need to save them when Apple is signing them, as right now all you can do is to save 4.2.1, you are too late for everything else.

You are pretty much out of luck, as i said on my original post, all you can do is to go to 4.2.1 and that will get you to a currently unlockable baseband, only option is to use the iPad BB, which you already stated that don't want to do. You can also wait a bit for a new unlock to be release.

5. jlchee macrumors newbie

My desire also: 3Gs unlock and update

I just received a 3Gs from a friend and I would like to unlock it and use it here in Ecuador on a GSM system. Currently the phone is running 3.12 and I have been trying to upgrade to 4.2?? through iTunes. Unsuccessful in upgrading to ios 4.due to "Error 9006" as the download fails everytime. Haven't figured out what that problem is either.
    I don't understand the meaning of SHSH's and also BB. We don't get the good deals here on iPhones as ole Carlos Slim likes to make a lot of money.
    Since I have not gone to the iOS4, is it better I stay here at 3.12 and just unlock it and use it until an unlock is available? I am not sure this phone is working correctly either since it is not real responsive getting out of places like settings and back into home mode. I have to push the home button many times and wait till I get lucky. Sort of lost at this point but catch on quickly.
    JC

6. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

As already mention, SHSH files are unique to each iPhone and firmware. So without them previously saved when Apple was still sending them out, you have two options:

1) Stay at 3.1.3, JB with Spirit and install Ultrasnow to unlock.
    2) Move to 4.2.1, but first, find (use F0rcast) out if you have old (untethered) or new (tethered) bootrom. That will tell you want type of JB you will have after going to 4.2.1. To restore / install 4.2.1, create or find custom 4.2.1 firmware file (one that keeps the current baseband), use Pwnagetool (Mac) or Redsnow (windows) to put the phone into a special DFU mode, restore through ITunes with that custom file, and then, install Ultrasnow to unlock.

7. Myzhi, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010

Myzhi macrumors 6502a

My post above also applies to you, except you would stay at 3.1.2 or update to 4.2.1.