3gs white screen of death...will apple repair?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by heliocentric, Nov 23, 2011.

1. heliocentric Guest

I dropped it :( its slightly come apart at the bottom and has a white screen stuck on it.

If i cant fix it myself can i take it to an apple store for them to replace/repair?

I have looked at the out of warranty service plan options and it says their is a rate of £126...

Does that mean i just take it in, pay £126 and they will sort it?

Its locked to o2 atm, I assume if they replace it it wont be locked?

thanks

2. tiptopp macrumors regular

tiptopp

Yep - you just pay the OOW fee and give them your phone and they give you a new/reconditioned unit. Have done it a couple of times. But it will still be locked to O2. Make sure you back it up before you take it in, assuming that it still connects to iTunes.

You could try to fix it - I've replaced the screen unit before for about £35 - but it's quite fiddly, and there's a risk of causing further damage. There are companies that do it as well, if you can afford to be without a phone for a few days while you send it away.

Tiptopp

3. heliocentric thread starter Guest

I do intend to try and fix it first with a new LCD.

I was really hoping they would give me a replacement that isnt locked though, surely if its coming direct from apple they wont carry units locked to networks?

4. tiptopp macrumors regular

tiptopp

Yes, they do. After all, you can go into an Apple Store and buy a contract with one of the networks, purchasing a locked phone.

Tiptopp

5. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm not sure this will work, once they see that you've modified the phone they'll likely tell you they can't do anything with it. In my experience Apple gear and third party parts don't mix when it comes to repairs. Given the choice, I'd take it to Apple and guarantee the phone will be fixed rather than try and fix it yourself and possibly be unable to fix if something goes wrong.

6. heliocentric thread starter Guest

apple will have no way of knowing i tried another screen on it...

you dont break any warranty seal stickers with this repair :)

i also had no idea you could buy phone contracts in an apple store...

7. tiptopp macrumors regular

tiptopp

When I put my 3G through the wash, after I'd dropped it and replaced the screen and touch panel, they had no issues in replacing it for the OOW fee. Wouldn't worry about this...

Tiptopp

----------

By the way, my household contents accidental damage policy covered the cost of replacing it by buying it through O2, at around £350. So I banked the cheque and then gave Apple £140 for the new phone. Nothing fraudulent, just a silly insurance company which hadn't researched the replacement possibilities before setting up their processes.

Tiptopp

8. heliocentric thread starter Guest

It was just the screen :)

replaced it and its all good...