3GS working slow!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macmastersam, Jan 19, 2012.

1. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

hi,
    i currently have an iphone 3GS, which at the time i got it the apps installed worked wonders. facebook loaded up in less than a second, and most apps which were built for the iphone 4 done the same as well.

but six months on, and the apps that took less than a second to boot up, like facebook, for me half a year ago are now taking AGES to load up, preferably 10 seconds or more so?

I currently own a 32GB 3GS. is there any issues and how do i overcome them?

thanks in advance,
    sam

2. riveting macrumors 6502

My personal finding is that if you have apps running in the background, including Youtube, music etc. The iphone 3gs will slow down a lot, once I closed everything in the background, the phone is snappy again.

3. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

Are you running iOS5? My 3GS did run noticeably slower on iOS5 than it had been on iOS4. I didn't mind it so much, but since I switched to the 4S I noticed a huge speed improvement. The 3GS is still usable, but it is starting to show its age.

4. macmastersam thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yeah my 3GS is on iOS 5. I can see what you mean

5. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I think that is your culprit. I am actually shocked that Apple has continued to promote the sale of the 3GS this far into the game. Definitely not the user experience that I think Apple is known for.

6. yogi.techsavvy macrumors newbie

how to check and stop apps running in the background..????

7. Tminusg macrumors member

The 3gs is at the end of the road when it comes to its speed on any ios firmware. I for one am also still using my 3gs i got around launch, but it's really starting to show it's age. I found ios 5 runs fairly well on my device but I did jailbreak and once that was done I had to restore because jailbreaking the 3gs at this point is a major hit to performance. So if you are jailbroken I would revert to stock, the 3gs is just subpar to be jailbroken at this point in time.

8. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

9. macmastersam thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I haven't jail broken my iPhone, and it is something I will never do to it.

10. Looon macrumors 6502a

Looon

Time for it to retire and make way for a new iphone. You can't expect a 2 year old phone to be able to run applications that are being designed and updated for phones with double the ram and processing power.

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Before you put the 3GS out to pasture, go Ito your app switcher and quit all running apps. You can also do a cold reboot to get the same effect. See if that improves anything.

The 3GS is definitely going to be at a disadvantage seeing as it has half the RAM of the 4/4S. So you'll probably have to quit apps more often to keep it going at a good speed.

12. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

The 3GS still works fine overall, it's just slower than the 4 or the 4S, and that should be expected. I passed my 3GS on to my Mom, and she's fine with it. I was fine with it, too...but now that I have the 4S I can really see how slow it was getting. Not unusable, just slow.

13. macmastersam thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm gonna wait for the fifth iPhone to come out, since that is when my contract on my 3GS ends... Late June/early julyish 2012

Hopefully apple will bring out a new iPhone soon after my contract Ends

14. riveting macrumors 6502

ok, this maybe a late reply, but if you click the home button twice, you will see all the applications that are running in the background, close all of them, your phone will be snappy again. On that case, my phone speed is comparable to my wife's iphone 4, but once got more applications running in the background, it got much slower. At least that is my experience of my 3gs, I find it faster on iOS 5 than iOS 4. So don't throw it out yet, I think the speed difference between 3gs and 4 is far less than the speed difference between iphone 3g and iphone 3gs.

15. macmastersam thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've tried it... Only makes tr iPhone a little bit quicker

16. yogi.techsavvy macrumors newbie

when i press home button twice it shows almost every applications......does it means that evry single app is running in background...!!!!!!!

17. dba415 macrumors 6502

trying turning off your phone and turning it on again.

18. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

One thing I've noticed that speeds up the 3GS is restoring it. I had to restore to stock iOS 5 and then had my settings and such come back from an iCloud backup. It was a bit better than before I restored. I would imagine setting up as new rather than restoring from a backup would have a better effect.