Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ipad3.jpg

The embargo has lifted on the reviews for the 3rd Generation iPad, and they are starting to trickle out. Here are links and summaries of some of the more prominent reviews:

Macworld Review and Video

- Text in most apps will automatically take advantage of Retina display, though with some exceptions (Kindle App)
- "The third-generation iPad had a frame rate 1.6 times that of the iPad 2"
- 3rd Gen iPad almost identical physically to iPad 2
- Video quality of 1080p video recorded was "very good" even in low light
- "AT&T's LTE network in San Francisco was impressive." with 14.5Mbps/20.6Mbps download and upload rates.

AllThingsD

- "If you already own an iPad 2, and like it, you shouldn't feel like you have to rush out to buy the new one."
- Was able to use smaller font sizes to read books and email on 3rd Gen iPad vs iPad 2

NY Times

- "Really, the new iPad should have been called the iPad 2S."
- "Apple just took its white-hot iPad and added the latest screen, battery and cellular technologies."

Article Link: 3rd Generation iPad Reviews: Retina Display "Stunning", LTE Speeds Impressive

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
The display alone, ALONE, makes this worth it. Never mind everything else.

Retina is a phenomenal enhancement of the User Experience. It isn't just a spec.

JRakaSupes

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
That's AWWWESOME lol. I just checked my tracking info for both my Apple TV and New iPad, and saw "In Transit" with the Apple TV getting here 2morro by 3pm and the iPad getting here Friday! NIIIIIICE

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
keep it coming.

i said it earlier, let me say it again, they should have improved the front facing camera not the back facing camera.

Battery life looks good, i will wait for anandtech review for more technical/nerd review :D

Joshwawilson

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2011
Missouri
"once you see and use the new iPad, there's no going back"...

So when my friend gets his new iPad Friday and I use it, I won't be able to use my iPad 2 anymore? ****.

ps45

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2010
Retina is a game changer. When they finally launch a 4K retina cinema display I will pull a face like in that Lonely Island music video.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
For people complaining about the 3rd gen. iPad, you really can't. It offers a phenomenal user experience. The app store, ease-of-use, responsiveness and ecosystem were already amazing, but now you have an iPad with an ultra-high resolution display, more speed, better graphics, a better camera and dictation.

Enjoy it. There's nothing else comparable to the iPad right now.

Xscapes

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2011
New York
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I feel no regret after reading these review.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
For people complaining about the 3rd gen. iPad, you really can't. It offers a phenomenal user experience. The app store, ease-of-use, responsiveness and ecosystem were already amazing, but now you have an iPad with an ultra-high resolution display, more speed, better graphics, a better camera and dictation.

Enjoy it. There's nothing else comparable to the iPad right now.

There hasn't been a tablet comparable to the iPad since it was released.

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

The only thing that prevents LTE iPad to be the most amazing is bandwith capping and throttling. ATT and Verizon won't stand unlimited plans if everyone going to have 40Mbps downlink. 1GB would be chopped in like less than 5 minutes? The ugly thing is that 1GB could be the only limit you have before throttling or excessive data usage fees.

Wait a few months from now n you'll see :D

5aga

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2003
Gig City
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B179 Safari/7534.48.3)

*LTD* said:
The display alone, ALONE, makes this worth it. Never mind everything else.

Retina is a phenomenal enhancement of the User Experience. It isn't just a spec.

Agreed. The Retina screen is going to be
amazing.

perealb

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2009
Mine is finally in transit! I hope they won't hold it when it gets at the local Fedex and deliver it tomorrow!

ipodlover77

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2009
Seems as if David Pogue is the only one who isn't that blown away. He said it should have been named the iPad 2s. To each his own.

SlugBlanket

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2011
I'm feeling a little buyer's remorse right now ... I pre-ordered one for my daughter but maybe I should have ordered one for the wife as well :)

It seems like this is a good time for many people to obtain their first iPad. I can't think of any update in the next couple of years that might give me cause for genuine remorse about buying now ... except maybe a considerable price drop.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.