Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

its Dale

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2013
LA California
Just wondering if those on 11.2 have tried any 3rd party generic "Fast Charger' with their own supplied 7.5w or higher brick to plug into the wall. Will that suffice for faster than 5w charging? Really don't believe in buying the Belkin or Mophie at that high price. I have 2 third party fast enabled chargers that I paid about $30 total for, but im using the apple 5w plugs. Wondering if I can just pop in a higher wattage plug and get the higher speed when 11.2 becomes public

Thanks in advance

yoheywut

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2015
Just wondering if those on 11.2 have tried any 3rd party generic "Fast Charger' with their own supplied 7.5w or higher brick to plug into the wall. Will that suffice for faster than 5w charging? Really don't believe in buying the Belkin or Mophie at that high price. I have 2 third party fast enabled chargers that I paid about $30 total for, but im using the apple 5w plugs. Wondering if I can just pop in a higher wattage plug and get the higher speed when 11.2 becomes public

Thanks in advance

I'm not sure if this is the most scientific method but I've been using this Samsung charger (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012AWBN9C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for the last few weeks. I used Coconut Battery on my Mac to view the charging of my phone (using iTunes Wifi Sync).

On 11.1, it shows charger connected 6 Watt Adapter, and it hovered around 3.4 watts. There was no difference after updating to the latest (presumed to be GM) version of 11.2 beta. This is with either the included Samsung wall socket or my iPad 12 Watt charger plugged into the Wireless pad. Unless there's something wonky about using Coconut battery to test, it looks like there was no change after updating.

Pretty disappointing since I specifically bought/paid a bit more for a fast charger. Think I'm just gonna live with it. I use my iPad charger anyway if I really need a quick boost. Wonder what's so special about the Belkin/Mophie versions, maybe some sort of software handshake to the phone...

Last edited:

its Dale

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 8, 2013
LA California
I'm not sure if this is the most scientific method but I've been using this Samsung charger (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B012AWBN9C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) for the last few weeks. I used Coconut Battery on my Mac to view the charging of my phone (using iTunes Wifi Sync).

On 11.1, it shows charger connected 6 Watt Adapter, and it hovered around 3.4 watts. There was no difference after updating to the latest (presumed to be GM) version of 11.2 beta. This is with either the included Samsung wall socket or my iPad 12 Watt charger plugged into the Wireless pad. Unless there's something wonky about using Coconut battery to test, it looks like there was no change after updating.

Pretty disappointing since I specifically bought/paid a bit more for a fast charger. Think I'm just gonna live with it. I use my iPad charger anyway if I really need a quick boost. Wonder what's so special about the Belkin/Mophie versions, maybe some sort of software handshake to the phone...

Thanks. That is disappointing. Maybe i should just invest in another 12w brick to replace my wireless charger at work. It takes half my shift to fully charge this thing if needed. Sometimes I dont charge my phone at night

yoheywut

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2015
Ok it's getting more confusing. See some of the comments here:

https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...wireless-charging-accessories.2088288/page-10

Someone else has a third party one that seems to go up to 7.5W. I'm wondering if the Coconut battery app isn't accurate.

Something else to consider though, having a wireless charger at a desk is a perfect use for it. Your phone will basically always be topping off while you go to and from the desk. Arguably better than a fast charger if you're actually using the wireless pad more. Sure, not ideal for going from 0-100%, but if you're already a little charged to start.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.