4.1 sound off PowerBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by titaniumducky, Apr 24, 2004.

  1. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a


    Nov 22, 2003
    I have a set of speakers which support 4.1. However, it takes a front and rear input. For this reason, all I've been able to use is 2.1. I'm wondering if I can use a 2 female to 1 male to fix this. See here:


    The idea is this - I connect the rear and front input 1/8" cables to my speakers. Then I take this two cables and plug them into the female ends. The male end goes into the line-in/headphone jack as normal. Will this work to give me 4.1 sound?

    Thanks in advance.
  2. Celeron macrumors 6502a

    Mar 11, 2004
    Will it work, sure. Will it be real 4.1 sound? No. What you'll get is 2.1 sound out of 4 speakers.
  3. titaniumducky thread starter macrumors 6502a


    Nov 22, 2003
    So, both the left-front and left-back will have the same sound and the right-back and right-front?

    In that case, will it sound any better? Is it worth the $10 or so?

    Are there any alternatives?
  4. CubeHacker macrumors 65816


    Apr 22, 2003
    Yep, you got it right. Would it sound any better? Well, it might sound louder, since you're using 2 more speakers. But it wouldn't be true 4.1 audio. The only way to get real 4 point sound would be to buy an external USB soundcard.
  5. Counterfit macrumors G3


    Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    I'm in a similar situation. Right now, I have one of those splitters, but I'm not using it because my speakers are at school, and I don't feel like setting them up just for the last week of exams. Anyway, I'm looking at getting an M-Audio Sonica Theater, which supports 4.1. Or I might buy the Logitech Z-680 system, hook that up to the Sonica Theater, and possibly attach my Z-540 system to my Beige G3 or my parents' iMac.
  6. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

    baby duck monge

    Feb 16, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    to really have 4.1, you're going to need a new sound card to plug into the pcmcia slot, or some sort of firewire audio device.

Share This Page