4.2.1 AT&T iPhone 3GS (Apple replaced this phone) - can I jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by cmm, Feb 4, 2011.

1. cmm macrumors 6502a

Hi all -

I had my iPhone 3GS replaced by Apple in November 2010 (replaced by a refurbished unit) and tried to jailbreak with PwnageTool and redsn0w with no luck.

I am currently running an official 4.2.1 (8C148a) iOS on my iPhone 3GS.

Is there any way I can jailbreak this phone? I would like to stay with 4.1.x or 4.2.x iOS, if possible. I would prefer an untethered jailbreak, if possible.

I want to jailbreak primarily so I can tether free of charge on AT&T. So which jailbreak would work for me? Is there a guide to allow tethering, or do I have to pay for an app in Cydia (which)? I used a guide to tether on my previous 3.2.x jb).

Also, can I unlock my phone? Which method?

Thank you!

2. PsstGreek macrumors 68040

PsstGreek

The new version of GreenPois0n will give you an untethered jailbreak.

It's on Mac only right now though.

3. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Jailbreak with greenpois0n. Follow the link in my signature.

In the Cydia store there is PDANet and MyWi. I reccomend MyWi. It's $20. Both have free trials, and PDAnet will let you keep using it for free for non secure sites (i.e. you can't use https).

No monthly charges.

Not yet, that I'm aware of. Aren't you on AT&T?

4. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have "greenpois0n-osx_rc5_2.zip" already (from a link I found before posting). That's the version I want, correct?

Are there any free ways to be allowed to tether (I want to be able to plug my phone in via USB - or very rarely bluetooth - and surf the Internet on my Macbook Pro) -- I am not interested in becoming a hotspot (though I guess that could be nice...)

I'm on AT&T but travel internationally and international calling is expensive, so I wanted to put in other SIM cards. When was the last time you could unlock an iPhone?

If I screw everything up, can I easily revert back to an official 4.2.1?

What backups should I make?

Thank you!

5. sbddude macrumors 6502a

Yes, but it wouldn't hurt to download again to be sure. It's only 1MB.

Search Cydia for "tether". Try "TetherMe"

I don't know. I think 4.0.1.

Backup in iTunes. You can easily restore in itunes to 4.2.1. It will remove the jailbreak and erase everything. If currently jailbroken, you can back up cydia apps with AptBackup.

6. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

TetherMe only seems to be for 4.0.1... MyWi will allow for tethering as I described? Or is it meant to create a hotspot if you are already on a wifi network?

Thanks a lot! I will try jb'ing tonight.

7. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

People have been saying that TetherMe had an update within the last couple of days. I presume that they are testing the beta versions of iOS 4.3 & they say that TetherMe now can act as a hotspot (whenever the rest of us get iOS 4.3). It has been able to do USB & Bluetooth since it came out & works for all firmwares from 4.0.1 on up. So, if you want the latest iOS firmware, no need to fear TetherMe not working.

8. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Please don't buy MyWi, get TetherMe while it's still 1.99 and wait for 4.3. When that's out they will raise the price and probably get it closer to MyWi (which I have a feeling will instead be getting cheaper to deal with competition)

9. jpetticrew macrumors 6502a

jpetticrew

TetherMe works great! And it enables native tethering. Highly recommend.

I'm running it on 4.2.1 with no issues, and the dev has said on twitter that in iOS 4.3 it enables the WiFi hotspot feature. I say go for it.

10. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi all, thanks! I got this jailbreak working fine on my Apple replaced iPhone 3GS. I am VERY pleased!

Now, to purchase TetherMe, I need to search for it on Cydia and pay there? How do I setup an account (and where does my credit go through)?

11. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

You can pay through amazon or paypal. Cydia will ask to link to your facebook/google profile, and then select a payment option.

12. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do I have to link through either? Can I create a fake google profile for this purpose? Can I just pay directly with paypal or amazon somehow else?

13. NoStopN macrumors 6502

NoStopN

If you have a Google email address, that's your "profile". All you have to do is login like you were checking your email. Good luck remembering your password. I usually forget because it's stored on the iPhone. :p

14. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi all!

Thanks!

One more question: how do I save my blobs in case I ever need it again? I know I needed this for pwnage tool...

15. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Download TinyUmbrella, plug in your phone and hit Save SHSH

16. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you! From what I remember, I need to turn off my Internet for TinyUmbrella to work, correct?

17. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

nope

18. cmm thread starter macrumors 6502a

Okay, thanks. Last question, for now, is there a way I can have different default signatures for different email accounts on 4.2.1 (jb'ed)?