4.3 can you attach photo from within mail app?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kultschar, Mar 14, 2011.

1. kultschar macrumors 6502a

4.3 can you attach photo from within mail app?

This bugged the hell out of me before

2. ed.g macrumors member

I'm with you on this one. How can apple miss to add this option, it's just unbelievable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Acronym macrumors 68000

while there is no "add photo's/file" button you can copy 5 photos from your photos app and paste them in your email which is essentially the same thing.

but a "add photo's/file's" button would be better.

4. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

One of those easy to implement things that can count towards the bazillion new features of iOS 5.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It's actually not that easy.

When you click 'Attach file' in mail, what should you see? An unwieldy list of all your apps that contain files? A list that you've manually added apps to? Just apps that Apple thinks are swell?

All methods have their strengths and their drawbacks. Which was should Apple favor? Is it possible to blend the best features of multiple ideas? How to best avoid the downsides?

There's a lot of questions here that get to the heart of how iOS should handle digital files at all...should they just throw their first idea into the Mail app and then scrap it when they come up with a different OS-wide method of file management later? Or leave Mail with the old method while the rest of the OS moves on?

I've just asked many questions that I don't know the answers too. I suspect Apple is being careful to take their time with questions like these.

6. Acronym macrumors 68000

While I do not think apple would "share" apps, as you need a Itunes account to download apps, there is however apps like bump which allow app sharing, so who knows maybe apple would allow app sharing.

but as far as sharing files, like notes, or word dcuments/PDF files etc... would i not be easy to create an "attach file" for such said files.

to me It would seem so but I am no developer.

7. Roadking macrumors 6502

It is not essentially the same thing.

If I want to reply to all in an email and have multiple email addresses, I can't easily add a photo to share with everyone.

It would be great if apple fixed this shortcoming.

8. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

Am I missing the point?
    In mail, whilst writing a reply to many people, you just minimise the app with the home button or go into multitasking with a double-click, open Photos, copy the photo(s) you want, double-click to go back to Mail and "Paste".
    Isn't that what you want to do?

9. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Yes, but he wants to do it without having to switch apps like that, but have a button built in somewhere.

10. Acronym macrumors 68000

which would seem like an easy task, other apps easily pull up the photos app I am sure it would be quite simple for apple to implement that idea, I agree however that trying to add files that might be used by third party apps would be more difficult.

11. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Apple's probably got the same "copy/paste" team working on it. Should be ready in another year or two.

12. BullittMustang macrumors 6502a

Jailbreak and get photomail. It is awesome. It does exactly what you are looking for.

13. Reefbone macrumors regular

Ooo I never do that but a good idea. If I've already typed in an email, I'll just copy the text then esentailly start a new email from the Photo App

14. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

?? I dont think you get it. Lets say you type out a long email then you realize you want to add a pic to the end. All you do is hit the home button, go to the photos app, copy the photo you want then re-open the mail app. Your email will still be there due to multitasking and just paste the image.

It will take 15 seconds, although I agree a button would be nice.

15. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

It's annoying that you can't attach from within an email, but it's become pretty easy to open the photo app and just copypasta with relative quickness.

When I first got my iPhone a couple years back, it shocked me that this was not a feature. Not only did we not have MMS, but it was kind of a pain to e-mail photos on top of that. But, like most apple fans I've learned to settle and work around it.

16. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

If you start out knowing that you want to email the photo, you can start in the photo app, chose the picture you want and you have the option to email it from there.

17. walie macrumors 6502a

pretty much the summary of using iOS, who needs freedom of choice anyway?

18. Tom359 macrumors regular

I still can't believe there aren't Distriburion Lists (or mail groups)

I've run into the attach picture a few times, but then remembered that I could "multitask" to the photo app and then jump back and paste.

The thing that has driven me crazy since day one is the fact that you can't use your contact groups to send an email. How hard could that be? I don't want to type the name of every family member every time!

19. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I think Apple should have a proprietary drop box app that works with iTunes Sync and you should be able to place any files you like in the drop box to use the phone as a USB jumpdrive of sorts.

That comes to play in this thread because you could just dump any file that you want to e-mail into the dropbox and then the button in the mail app could browse into that app and find any file you wish to send.

This is a big thing Apple is missing if you ask me.

What WOULD be awesome is a Bluetooth jump drive that ran wirelessly that didn't require a jailbreak.

20. Chocolatemilty macrumors 6502a

I use the app ABContacts to help with that. It's a great app that has virtually replaced my need for the Contacts app. I only use Contacts now when I'm already in the phone app.

But, I agree, it should be a feature already in iOS.

21. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

Access to the file system would fix this, too. Cut and paste would be too complicated, especially with multiple files types.

22. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Your choice is whether or not to buy something that meets your needs. If iOS is missing a feature you want then don't use it or submit a feature request.