4.5" screen just for the "cheaper" iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cody21, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Cody21 macrumors 6502a

Cody21

I read the rumor released today talking about a "cheaper" iPhone with a 4.5" screen being pushed to a 2014 release. It got me wondering if they would implement this screen size into high-end model iPhone (insert random number) next year. What do you all think?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't see Apple making a "cheap" version of the iPhone at 4.5" and then a larger screen iPhone as well.

4. 617aircav Suspended

Apple does not need a cheaper iPhone, that is not their market.

5. bozzykid macrumors 68020

Tell that to their investors then. If they don't go after the mid-range, then they are going to be in big trouble in Asia.

6. 617aircav Suspended

There is already a cheap iphone, the iPhone 4. What sense does it make a new phone with the specs of an old phone that they already sell. By your analogy they should also make cheap computers.

7. wxman2003 Suspended

Exactly. As Tim Cook said, Apple is in business to have the largest profit margin, not have the largest market share. If Apple was is the business for largest market share, they would not be making computers.

8. macMD macrumors 6502

macMD

I suspect IF the rumor is true and they are targeting such a low price point then its not for the US market, but for emerging markets and other ones like China. Apple is not looking to cut their profits but they want to gain market share where needed and where price is a sensitive issue like India.

That said, I can't see poly-carbonate being the sole material that is going to reduce the price down, I mean a larger display costs more, they must be cutting the flash memory, not the current gen processor and a few other things.

Thanks I will take the higher end model over the cheap dodge neon.

9. mateo124 macrumors regular

I don't see this happening. Seriously, it took FIVE iPhone's before they decided to move up to 4 inch. A 4.5" phone will not be released by Apple anytime soon.

10. Prime85 macrumors 6502a

Prime85

a larger screen doesnt have to cost more if it has a lower PPI. They will probably keep the same resolution as their 3.5" or 4" iPhone which will be much cheaper with a bigger screen because the pixels will be bigger than if they kept the same 324ppi on a 4.5"

11. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I read this line in every other thread... The part about the word 'cheap' you're missing is the part where the new phone is cheaper for Apple to make, not necessarily cheaper for the consumer than the 4. Presumeably they would take a higher profit margin on this new design.

12. CEmajr macrumors 601

They could make a new phone made of cheaper plastic parts but with iPhone 4 internals and sell it at a lower price while also maintaining their profit margins.

13. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

I was hoping that the next iPhone was actually smaller to keep the "true" fan boys happy so they could put them in their rear pants pockets!!!!

Anything over 4" is WAAAy to big!!! OOOH mah Gawd!

14. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Not yet, but if the higher price point made it the best selling smartphone, a lower priced variant would make it completely dominate.

15. woodekm, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013

woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Most auto makers put out a "cheap" and a "Higher end" version of cars. It works, and spreads out the customer base. Especially, if you prove to the "lower end" purchasers that the lower end product is worthy of what they paid at a lower price point. Some end up buying a higher end $ product from you. Thats how you sell Higher end stuff and keep customers, and spread the good word (which is invaluable).

Apple wont put out junk at any price point, although, after Jobs, Im starting to wonder. Next... Same iPhone 5 but an "S" version. Meanwhile Samsung, blackberry (Oh the horror) and especially that HTC one, will be kicking the iphones azs.

16. maxosx macrumors 68020

It's just a rumor.

Apple seems to be content with the current screen size.

Give em a few years to catch up to Samsung