4 attacked two dead in a week

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lostngone, Jun 26, 2017.

1. lostngone, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017

lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

We have had 4 Bear(not the same Bear) maulings, two ending in a fatalities in the time span of about a week here in Alaska. I even came across 2 bears when I was behind my house 3 weeks ago!
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/26/two-brown-bear-attacks-reported-in-alaska-on-same-day.html

I see people in this forum telling people time and time again there is no reason for civilians to have access to firearms. Well I am sure to two people that are now dead might disagree.

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Something about arming bears springs to mind.

Seems unnecessary in the circumstances.

3. uknowimright macrumors 6502a

uknowimright

need to arm the good bears to get rid of the bad bears

4. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

While a firearm will give you a better chance of surviving a bear attack or just killing a nuisance bear, every study done on the issue that I have seen says that bear spray is very effective in driving away bears that get too close. I'd certainly give that a try. That said, I'd also have a firearm as a backup precaution.

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Alaska has extremely lax gun laws, and they should have. Damn near anyone can carry.

I don't think those in NYC, Chicago, LA, Miami, and etc: have any worries about running into bears. Kind of a false equivalency that you are trying to make across the board.

6. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Yes, in a perfect situation Bear stray "can" work just as well as a firearm. However what about the other times like, high wind, heavy rain, a really pissed off bear? I do not want to force a firearm into anyone hands but I do not want to rely on spicy seasoning as a method of protection.

7. darksithpro macrumors regular

No, It's much worse in Chicago. Where gun laws are very restrictive, yet everyone committing crimes such as murder and robbery seems to have one.

8. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

The problem is Federal laws do not usually have exclusions by State.

9. uknowimright macrumors 6502a

uknowimright

damn those crime committing bears

10. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

11. darksithpro macrumors regular

Yes, because claws and teeth aren't apart of the bears body, right?:rolleyes:

12. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Tell that to the salmon. No, in fact, you should be arming them; besides, they have the 2A right to defend themselves.

BL.

13. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

The main problem with a firearm vs bear scenario is that you need a lot of gun to down a bear. In a handgun you really need a .44 magnum to even the odds. The recoil can make target reacquisition tough. Even a rifle takes a better than average round to down them in a quick manner. Especially if they're pissed. Like I said, a guns a good precaution, but it shouldn't necessarily be your first go to, where a bear is concerned.

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Chicago is a bad example ..... They have damn near the same strict gun laws as NYC has, but NYC crime has been on a tremendous downward trend. Proof, that the issue in Chicago has nothing to do with strict guns laws.

Point taken. Now what potential specific laws are guns control advocates trying to impose, that has you worried and forbids an Alaskan from carrying?

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

That is a good point. Some people need to be reminded that they are in the bear's habitat, not the other way around, and that bears, let alone any wild animal doesn't give a fat damn about eminent domain. You're in their world, and they see you as prey, let alone their next meal.

So instead of trying to play "the first purpose is to eliminate the threat", your first concern is to make sure that you get the hell out alive.

As someone in this section of the forum is wont to say, "play stupid games, win stupid prizes". You are in their yard. Are you (in general, not particular) going play the stupid game to win the stupid prize, or are you not going to play at all, so you can live another day?

BL.

16. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

For similar reasons I wear a life vest and scuba tank when I'm taking a shower and I recommend everybody do the same. Prolonged exposure to water can lead to drowning.

I'm a big fan of the same rule applies to every scenario, no matter how absurd or unlikely the hazard.

17. darksithpro macrumors regular

Friend of mine a while back went on one of those wildlife Alaskian tours in Bear country. He said the guides carried bear Pepper Spray and shotguns with special slug rounds. Apparently handguns aren't very effective for those 4 legged creatures.

18. Raid, Jun 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017

Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Ok so Northern Ontario isn't Alaska and bear attacks are rare (but possible here). The best preventative measure against bears I've heard is put a bell on your pack as you are hiking. Now obviously if you're hunting you don't want to make noise... but you'd also probably have your gun. (Unlike the guy in the link who just had a bow; but lived to tell the tale.)

19. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

The bears must have found a copy of the Koran lying around, and are now becoming radicalized as well. :D

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

So let's see ... fatalities over a ten year period ...

bear — 27

firearm — 326,128

Yup. Your priorities are spot on. :rolleyes:

21. lostngone thread starter macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Correct handguns even larger ones like .44 Mags and .50AE I would not carry. Handguns CAN bring down a bear and they are nice to carry because they are compact but I prefer a 12-gauge for Black Bears and .308 or .375H&H if you think you are going to have to deal with Brown Bears.

The joke is you only have to be faster than the slowest person in your group so as long as you don't mind shooting someone in the kneecap a .22 should do just fine.

22. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Yeah, shoot at the black/brown bears who were just minding their own business. Funny how that never happens to the polar bears.

23. darksithpro macrumors regular

Most of the Bear attacks I've read about is because there are baby cubs in the vicinity. The animals are acting on instinct to protect their offspring.

24. jkcerda Suspended

jkcerda

The two legged animals we deal with in the city are far worse than those in Alaska ;)

25. chown33 macrumors 604

You wouldn't even need a .22. Simply spraying the person with bear spray is likely to slow them down significantly, with far less marksmanship skill needed.

Contingency planning and risk assessment is important, and training cost or high skill levels work against effective plans.